Question

Honor Student
doglady44
Message 1 of 10 (362 Views)
Accepted Solution

Where is photosmart essentials

I recently upgraded my scanjet 4050 scanner and now do not have any photo editing software--photosmart premier (essentials) is what I used to have b4 the upgrade.  How can I get the photo editing process back?  I am running windows 7.

thanks

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 2 of 10 (342 Views)

Re: Where is photosmart essentials

Sorry, but could you explain what you mean by Upgraded your Scanjet? You upgraded the Operating System, Scanjet drivers or you have a different scanner now?

Honor Student
doglady44
Message 3 of 10 (296 Views)

OK I'll have to get in touch w/my comuter person to get all the details.  All I know is that I had version 3.5 of essentials w/XP and with update (right word?) of my 4050 scanner with installation of Windows 7 essentials is gone yet photo editing eluded to in the index and table of cntents.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 4 of 10 (292 Views)

[ Edited ]

AHH now I understand. You are now using Windows 7 and trying to install or use HP Photo Essentials.

You are not the first one to have this problem.

The bad news is, Photo Essentials is no longer supported and will not work in Windows 7.

The replacement is called HP Photo Creations.

Although you may find (as have a lot of other people) that its not the same thing as before but does offer some very creative templates.

You cannot save jpeg files of your creations to your computer though. Only print them from you printer or send them to be printed via an HP affiliate site.

Other alternatives people have recommended is Windows Live Photo Gallery or Google's Picasa. I know that it wont be quite what your used to but I would try different things to see what I liked best. They are FREE alternatives.

Honor Student
doglady44
Message 5 of 10 (268 Views)

That is really a bummer as I liked what qualities it had to offer for a quick fix.  I will now be forced to learn Photoshop 12!!!!

However, I also have Windows Photo Gallery and quess I'll begin to explore that option as well.

Thank you for your help. Cathy

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 6 of 10 (263 Views)

[ Edited ]

"I will now be forced to learn Photoshop 12!!!!"

Well that can actually be a good thing. You will have a lot more you can do with 12 than with the free alternatives.

If you need help getting started with Photoshop, I can help with that too. I was a Photographer for may years and know PS well. You can shoot me a private message if needed.

IF I answered your question fully, please mark my previous answer as solved and/or hit the Kudo's thumb up button.

It helps others find this answer too.

Honor Student
doglady44
Message 7 of 10 (258 Views)

So, the scanning of slides, negatives and pictures is eluded to in the index and table of contents. Am I able to save those scanned to my computer to open with "gallery" or photoshop?

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 8 of 10 (256 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can actually open Photoshop and then SCAN directly from your scanner VIA Photoshop and it will open in Photoshop directly so you can begin editing.

You can also just scan and save to your computer and then open the image in Windows Photo gallery or anything else you choose.

I like the 1rst option better becasue if you have an old printer/scanner all in one that does not have the Drivers/HP solutions center program supported on the new OS like Windows 8, you can still scan from Photoshop!!! I know as I do it all the time.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 9 of 10 (222 Views)

FYI: the scanning function for Photohsop Elements does not come set up automatically.

After installation of Photoshop Elements, you have to grab the TWAIN plugin from the Optional Plugins folder and install it.

Taken from this article

Go to   C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12

Double-click the Optional Plug-Ins folder.

Right-click the Import-Export folder and choose Copy.

Go back to your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12 folder, right-click the Plug-Ins folder, and choose Paste.

Plugins adobe.jpg

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 10 of 10 (148 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Doglady44,

I just thought I would contact you again regarding the issue of saving a file from the new HP Photo Creations software.

I said that you could not save a jpeg of your creation but rather only print it out immediatley or send it to an HP affiliate print store.

I have since been corrected of this answer.

As it turns out...

IF you install a PDF Writer like Adobe Acrobat or the free version of CutePDF Writer, you can save a file of your creation.

Don't confuse a PDF Writer with a PDF Reader. They are two different things.

After installing a PDF Writer in Windows, you can save to a PDF file and then print from that or then open it inside a Photo editor like Photoshop. It will be much higher quality than a screen shot will.

1.  When your creation is ready to be saved, click Print.

2.  Select the PDF Writer in the drop down list.

3.  Open Printer Properties to select High Quality Print.

4.  Click on the Print button.

5.  A dialog will appear asking you to insert printing paper. Just ignore this and click the Print button again.

6.  If a dialog box opens asking you to name the file, do so and click Save.

Your creation is now saved as a file via the Print option.

Hope it helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation