Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Scanjet g4050 is no longer working with El Capitan. I have iMac and upon upgrading it to OS X 10.11 the scanner stopped communicating with the computer. 

Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally contacted HP.  They are aware of the problem. They said they no longer support scanjet G4050. However they recommend a third party software that can be downloaded from the net. BUT you  will have to pay money.

This is what they said:

The solution we recommend is VueScan. http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_g4050.html

So you pay 80 US dollars for theVueScan  software to get the scammer running the way it was, or buy an new scanner.

That is the deal !!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

io ho lo stesso problema e non è stato possibile risolverlo neanche con i tecnici Apple

HP Recommended

I finally contacted HP.  They are aware of the problem. They said they no longer support scanjet G4050. However they recommend a third party software that can be downloaded from the net. BUT you  will have to pay money.

This is what they said:

The solution we recommend is VueScan. http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_g4050.html

So you pay 80 US dollars for theVueScan  software to get the scammer running the way it was, or buy an new scanner.

That is the deal !!

HP Recommended

Downloaded VueScan’s trial. Communication cannot be established with my g4050 scanner.

Short answer, VueScan 9.5.27 (demo) did not work with G4050.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) OSX 10.11 El Capitan

If I have scanner on,

start VueScan

VueScan freezes

Wheel of death spins indefinitely.

If I then turn off scanner

VueScan will launch and say its input is my scanner

But will not control scanner once it is turned on again.

In one instance, I did the on, launch, off, on cycle

And it got my scanner to whir in a way I had never heard before.

I thought it might blow up.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem.

OSX 10.11, G4050 and VueScan 9.5.27.

Get the Vuescan logo only, spinning wheel. If I disconnect the USB cable, Vuescan loads.

Niot happy at all!

HP Recommended

Have had success with 10.11 and Vuescan 9.5.27.

Downloaded and installed the following:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3236377&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4142

Even though it says 10.8, the date suggested it was current, so took a chance.

My G4050 is now scanning perfectly with Vuescan 9.5.27.  Image Capture, however, is not working. 

HP Recommended

Quick update to my post above.

Vuescan 9.5.27 32 bit works.  9.5.27 64 bit does not work!

HP Recommended

My enthusiasm got the better of me.

Doesn't survive a re-start.  The bizare part is that if I then re-install the HP software, VueScan works again, but only while it's running. Re-start Vuescan, and the spinning disk of death again.

At the point of giving up and getting an Epson scanner.

HP Recommended

I'm glad I found this thread. Same problem. When I start up the scanner ,sometimes, it makes a high pitch noise for about 30 seconds. I am able to find the scanner in the system report, listed in whichever USB port I connect the G4050  to.  Since I do not want to replace thie scanner, ( because I am to cheep to buy another one) I will connect it to an older laptop running an older mac OS and file transfer the scans to my desktop for now.

HP Recommended

Solution : Vuescan ! Payant 78$

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.