transfer data from one pc to another (1052 Views)
Honor Student
gintheartist
Message 1 of 5 (1,052 Views)

transfer data from one pc to another

I have a desktop with many photos I want to put in my new laptop without buying an external drive. Can be done over network how?  thanks let me know please!
Tutor
Assistant
Message 2 of 5 (1,036 Views)

Re: transfer data from one pc to another

Hi,

Yes, you can transfer the photos from your desktop to the newly purchased laptop over the network. However, as you have not specified the operating systems of the desktop and the laptop, I have assumed that you have Windows XP in your desktop and Vista in your laptop. Please follow the below mentioned steps to accomplish the task:

NOTE: The below mentioned steps are to be performed on the desktop.

a. Open Windows Explorer or My Documents, and then locate the drive or folder you want to share.

b. Right-click the drive or folder, and then click Sharing and Security. If you are sharing a drive,
   under the Sharing tab, click the If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the
   drive, click here.

c. Under the Sharing tab, as shown in the picture below, you can do one of the following:

* Share this folder on the network - This allows you to share the contents of the drive or folder
     available to other users on the network.

* Allow network users to change my files - This allows network users to change files over the
     network. This option is only available when the "Share this folder on the network" checkbox is
     checked.

The following screenshot may give you a better picture of the afore mentioned statement:

d. Click Apply, and then click Ok.

Notes:

1. Keep a share name with 12 characters or less. This way other versions of Windows can access the share and will make the folder
     fully accessible over the network.
 2. You also cannot create shares in user's profiles or in the Guest account.

Now, all you need to do on your laptop is to login as "Administrator", then follow the steps mentioned below:

NOTE: We will first enable the "run" option in Vista as stated below:

a. Right click on Vista Orb Start button.

b. Select “Properties” on the right click menu.

c. Ensure that you’re at “Start Menu” tab.

d. There are 2 radio button available - Start menu and Classic Start menu. Click on the “Customize…” button at the back of the  
    whichever radio button is been selected.

e. For Start menu, scroll down to the list to almost bottom, and select (tick) “Run command”. For Classic Start menu, select (tick)    “Display Run” option.

f. Click OK when done.

Now please perform the following steps to view the contents of the shared drive/folder that contains your photos:

1. click on Vista Orb Start button.

2. Click on Run

3. Now type: \\name of the desktop computer\name of the folder that you had shared on your desktop or
           type: \\ip address of the desktop\name of the folder that contains the photos

4. Click on OK

The folder with all the photos will appear on the screen of your laptop. All you need to do are as follows:

a. To select all of them by pressing the "Ctrl" key and the "A" keys of the keyboard of the laptop.

b. Next to press the "Ctrl" and the "C" keys of the laptop

c. Then select a desired location (folder) of the laptop, double click on it to open

d. Now press "Ctrl" and "V" keys

You will observe that all the photos get pasted in the desired folder and thus you will be able to transfer the photos successfully from the desktop to your new laptop.

Gintheartist, I hope that the above information would assist you to resolve the issue, however, if you require further information, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Assistant.

Honor Student
Elina
Message 3 of 5 (985 Views)

PC File Transfer can also help you. You don't need any cables to create a net, just install it on the both computers and you can move your files just gragging them with your mouse. It has a clear interface, so everything is pretty much understandable.
Tutor
Assistant
Message 4 of 5 (969 Views)

Hi Elina,

Your suggestion regarding the above subject is excellent provided the user has an internet connection with both the computers and it is a broadband connection. Otherwise, one has to devote time in order to transfer large files or a number of files between the computers.

Regards,

Assistant.

Honor Student
youhin
Message 5 of 5 (221 Views)

At first you have got to have Windows Easy Transfer to help you transfer your current files using an Ethernet cable. This free software provides you to conserve all your data in standard locations however you can also choose the custom folders and directories.

And you need to find the tool that is certainly available to your situation, a listing of the download links can be found here:

http://darktips.com/transfer-data-from-one-pc-to-another/

hope this helps:smileyhappy:

and by the way i also watch  some usfule vids in the site.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation