3 flashing lights on front of laptop (19316 Views)
Honor Student
richieoflynn
Message 1 of 3 (19,316 Views)

3 flashing lights on front of laptop

Hello,

Problem with my laptop : When the on button is pressed, the laptop won't switch on. The 3 lights on the front left corner flash 3 times. The first and third light don't flash as bright as the middle one but they all flash in sync with each other. I tried it without the battery installed but that didn't make a difference. I tested the power supply output with a multimeter and it is giving approx. 18V. 

Laptop details :

Product Model Number : Compaq Presario CQ61-425SA
Product Serial Number : CNF9518Y7R
Product Number : VY440EA#ABU

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richie.

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 3 (19,277 Views)

Re: 3 flashing lights on front of laptop

Check out this link for error codes:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSe...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    richieoflynn
    Message 3 of 3 (19,226 Views)

Re: 3 flashing lights on front of laptop

It was the charger. I bought a genuine HP replacement from a local computer shop the other day. It lasted less than a day :-) It was getting extremely hot to touch and eventually popped ! Ah I love HP, can't wait to buy my next one... oh wait... I won't be !!! Anyway, the shop I bought the replacement from send me a different charger, still genuine HP but about twice the physical size. Looks like it's from the old days but if it works I'll be happy.

Problem solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation