Question

Student
maxlax
Message 1 of 3 (904 Views)

AC power source 90w vs 60w

Hello, I'd like to know if there is any danger while using 60w AC power source for computers designed for 90w AC power source. And oposite. Using 90W AC for 60W designed notebooks. I suppose that only charging time could be increased/decreased without damaging the battery or performance temporaly decreased...

Thank you a lot.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (894 Views)

Re: AC power source 90w vs 60w

Hi,

Some computers can use both but some only use the standard one and higher wattage chargers. I acually have one computer which has 4 chargers: one 65w, one 90w and two 135w (they come with my work Dell laptop).

(a) The 135W if for docking station (1 at my official desk & 1 at home)

(b) The 90w is for normal usage,

(c) The 65w is lighter, for carrying around, it's always in my bag. This one can take ages to recharge the battery.

Basically if the machine did not like lower wattage, it will display error meaasge and you can't use this.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
PhD Student
Mista B
Message 3 of 3 (893 Views)

Re: AC power source 90w vs 60w

always better using original wattage or higher as a lower wattage charger tends to work close to it's maximum thus can run hot or fail if not 100% good.

If you have correct charging & no error messages then you probably ok but a good safe rule is always go same wattage or little higher unless have technical specifics guiding otherwise.

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation