Battery Not Detected (25858 Views)
Student
surabhi147
Message 1 of 8 (25,858 Views)

Battery Not Detected

I have an HP G42 Laptop running on WIndows 7 Basic (64 bit) which I purchased on 4th June 2011. After ten days of buying this system, a problem came up where I noticed that in my system tray, the battery icon had a red cross and was saying that there was 'no battery detected' but I could run the system on both AC power and battery power.

I called for an on site engineer who first sent for a replacement battery (which did not work) and then came over to have a look at the laptop. He tried eveything but said that there might be a motherboard issue and sent for a replacement immediately. He also updated the BIOS to the latest version. Strangely, right after he left, my battery showed up and started charging and everything!

Then again on 10th July 2011 I noticed that my battery was charging intermittently i.e. it would charge for ten seconds, stop charging for a moment and then start charging again. Then the next thing I know is that the battery (yes, the new battery) is showing the 'no battery is detected' problem again!

I realize that my system is under warranty and I should call for the engineer, however it has been close to twenty days and I haven't been able to take a look at this being incredibly busy and out of home. I can't even give my system up for repairs since much of my necessary data and projects and reports are on this.

I would really like some perspective on this and if there is anything I can do or any solutions which could work, please let me know.

Thank you!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (25,850 Views)

Re: Battery Not Detected

Hi,

The only thing I can think of suggesting is the following procedure however I expect the engineer has probably already tried this.

First of all, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the notebook down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shutdown the notebook again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
seeindouble
Message 3 of 8 (25,588 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried uninstalling the driver, and then restarting the computer, with NO luck.

The problem may be that the battery and computer contacts aren't firmly seated with each other.

My problem to the solution was to simply grasp the computer a certain way, firmly push on the battery, and to my surprise...IT WORKED!

I hope this works for you...

Honor Student
testigo_1
Message 4 of 8 (25,128 Views)

thanks man, actually this was the only thing that worked for me, easy fix :smileyhappy:    Everyone should try this before start messing with your PC.

Student
random7830
Message 5 of 8 (22,896 Views)

This happens to me quite regularly, but so far hasnt been fatal. My quick fix is to remove the battery and then re-insert it. this invariable works first time, occasionally need to do it twice. Seems to be one of those HP idiosyncrasies.

Honor Student
Yenta
Message 6 of 8 (12,248 Views)

Thanks! 

I kept bringing my computer (and charge)r to different outlets throughout my house.  Of course I had no luck.  I started hunting for solutions here, all the while wondering if the month-old computer would die that second.  I was ready to pull out the battery and try the above solution.

Once I pressed everything together, I went from the "red x" to the totally fully battery!  :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
Yenta
Message 7 of 8 (12,247 Views)

I agree!  It saved me a load of agony!!!   :smileyvery-happy:

Student
Donshedy
Message 8 of 8 (6,993 Views)

Hi

Power on your system with AC in, then remove the battery while is still on and fix the battery back, if it didn't work try removing and fixing the battery three to four times. Mine just worked

If this happen to work don't ever leave the system out of power (AC) for more than 1 week.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation