Question

Honor Student
lisawashco
Message 1 of 5 (8,686 Views)

Beeping Noise

Product: HP Pavilion dv4-2170us

Operation system:  Windows 7 64-bit

Issue:

My laptop started making a beep noise that was not coming from the speakers.  It progressively got worse and would beep more often.  I ran System Diagnostics (F2) at the initial startup of the computer and got the following message with the Battery Test:

Primary - replace (40)

Secondary - not installed (60)

Failure ID:  94MA6W-000603-XD7U21-COB403

Product ID:  WA693UA#ABA

Primary Battery

I had not noticed any issues with the battery, such as shorter than normal life or charging issues.  A friend suggested I remove the battery and run it on AC power only.  I still would get the beep at times. 

With or without the battery in the laptop, it may beep as often as every few seconds to once a minute to even more spaced out.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Lisa

Teacher
deka
Message 2 of 5 (8,683 Views)

Re: Beeping Noise

Hi,

Based on the information, the battery needs a replacement. However, since the beeping noise persists even after the battery is removed, I would recommend that you perform a HDD and Memory test from the F2 Diagonistics. 

I have come across instances where reseating the Memory modules and the HDD resolves the issue with beeping. We can try that once the Diagonistics are complete. Please get back after running the diagonistics. 

In the meantime, please find the instructions to reseat the HDD. 

These errors may occur if the computer has been jarred and the drive's connections are loose. To determine if this has occurred and to correct this issue, do the following:

Press and hold the power switch for 5 - 15 seconds to turn off the notebook.

Disconnect and reconnect the internal hard drive and Memory. Details on how to complete this procedure can be found in the Maintenance and Service Guide for your notebook mode. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads web page.

Once the hard disk has been reconnected and the notebook is completely re-assembled, attempt to start the notebook normally.

Regards,
Deka
----------------------------------------
**I work for HP.**Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give a quick thanks.
Honor Student
lisawashco
Message 3 of 5 (8,680 Views)

I ran the HDD and Memory test in the F2 diagnostics and received a Pass on both tests.

Thanks

Teacher
deka
Message 4 of 5 (8,677 Views)

In that case, you can try reseating the HDD and Memory. Please find the instructions in the Maintainence and the Service Guide:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=4125885&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r100...

Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable. Else, I receommend that you call the tech support number. 

Regards,
Deka
----------------------------------------
**I work for HP.**Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give a quick thanks.
Student
omarabdul
Message 5 of 5 (4,753 Views)

remove the first radom acess memory (ram) on any laptop my  your laptop works this is a permannt fix or else remove the  second ram and replace the first ram with second

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation