Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I purchased a HP Pavillion G7-2246NR Laptop with a 17.3 inch screen from Office Depot on Nov. 26, 2012.

The computer worked great until about a month ago when the left hinge seemed to be coming loose.  All I use this computer for is to surf the net at night while we watch TV so it rarely gets used.

Now the hinge has completely came out of the case and it has apparently  caused damage to the power button.  The computer will not power up at all.

I certainly believe this computer that I rarely use should have lasted more than a year and a half.  Is there a recall or some sort of free repair for these clearly defective units?

Please contact me for a solution,

Sybil [Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I am sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information.]

76 REPLIES 76
HP Recommended

Hello @SFKervin ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the hinge has broken on your notebook and it no longer turns on.

It's possible that the chassis has separated preventing the power button from making contact with the power button board below. The simplest solution would be to replace the hinge.

You can find detailed instructions on how to replace the hinge here: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide on page 57. You can order a replacement display hinge kit by searching the part number 682746-001 and the display hinge covers with part number 682747-001 (if needed) online from many retailers like Amazon, eBay, or the HP Part Surfer web store.

Regarding any recalls you can see a list of active recalls for HP on the following website: Replacement programs and product recalls.

Hopefully this helps! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have the similar situuation with my laptop. (its 2 yrs old and the left hinge came loose) Did the instructions work for you? I just opened everything up and noticed that the plastic that holds  the left hindge down seems to be broken. Now, I am stuck as to what to so? any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I am in the same boat!  The hindge itself does not appear to be broken.  Do I just epoxy it back together or what? 

I read in another blog for same problem where one guy got a discounted repair price to send it in and have it fixed.

HP Recommended

@sb-6 , @crackchecker ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same problem..  Any help or advice would be gratefully received as i have contacted hp direct and got nothing back..

HP Recommended

@robajob ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I have the exactly same issue i bought the computer the same day and the same store. The computer is just like yours broke. Right now it turns on but i cannt see anything on the screen... Did you found a solution?
HP Recommended

I certainly believe this computer that I rarely use should have lasted more than a year and a half.  Is there a recall or some sort of free repair for these clearly defective units?

All HPs are defective sonny. They don't sell a product without making sure its defective.

HP Recommended

Guess I'm a little late to the party. My lift hinge is broken and now lifting the bottom case. Sad that HP was once known for quality products, just the opposite now. 

Has anyone found a solution? I will not pay HP for more low quality products. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.