Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello! I own a Pavilion dv6911us, and it lost all its BIOS original config, so I would like to know where to find the Feature Byte label, because I don't know where it is. If someone could show me a picture or something to find it, that would be great. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I think that feature bytes and BID are for DESKTOP computers only, right? Not laptops.

Usually, the feature byte is on a black sticker that's underneath the desktop computer. It's a long string of characters and numbers that look something like 2S2U 3E3K 3R3U etc etc. I haven't got a picture but that's just from memory. And build ID is some shorter string of characters and numbers - and the sticker will say 'BID' next to it.

The trouble with these codes is that the coordinator from HP that chose the character FONT style wasn't too clever, because the font that they chose makes it hard to distinguish upper case and lower case letters (eg z and Z, and v and V, w and W etc). And sometimes it's hard to distinguish between things like the upper case 'i' (that is, the letter "I") and lower case 'L' (that is, the letter 'l'). He or she should have chosen a font style that makes it impossible to get mixed up between upper and lower case characters - to avoid all ambiguity. If I was the HP supervisor overseeing the production of the information sticker (ie BID, featurebyte, product code, area/country code, serial number etc), I would fail the person that was responsible for choosing the character font for these stickers. The font needs to be changed.

HP Recommended

how do I find my Flexbuild Feature Bytes so I can Tell how to read them. its for a

HP Pavilion A6700Y

NC686AA-ABA

91NAv6PrA1

CNX849KNN

Feature Bytes 2S2U 2V33 3E3K 3N3Q 3R3T 3V3X 3b3m 3u46 4s4k 4q54 5f5c 5u .DD

This is what I think it is but it gives me an error everytime and I have entered this about fifty time or more. Help would be great , Thanks Lonny

HP Recommended

Found answer to my problem , got back splash screen and back-up disks will now work.

Feature Bytes are entered on the a6700y as

2S2U 2V33 3E3K 3N3Q 3R3T 3V3X 3b3m 3u46 4S4k 4q54 5F5c 5u .D D

The caps in the last few were tricky because of the printed font

Maybe this will help someone else

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.