Question

Honor Student
b322da
Message 1 of 8 (12,375 Views)

Can I disable touchpad on Pavilion dv5?

I have covered the touchpad on wife's Pavilion dv5, Win7,  with cardboard to prevent her thumbs dragging on it, messing things up, and resulting in very unladylike language.  She is much happier with her mouse, and of course when she is happy I am happy.

Is there a way of disabling the touchpad doable by a fairly computer-illiterate me?

Thank you,

PS  if I am in the wrong forum, please redirect me.

jim

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (12,372 Views)

Re: Can I disable touchpad on Pavilion dv5?

Hi Jim,

On my dv5 there is a button just above the touchpad with an white LED next to it.  If yours is the same, just press the button and the LED should turn a red/orange colour indicating the touchpad is disabled.

If this is not the case on your laptop, post back with the full model number ( ie dv5-1130ea ).

Best wishes and merry Christmas,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 3 of 8 (12,355 Views)

If you have dv5 with windows 7, I am guess, just double tapping on the left had top corner to do the trick...

If not here is another thing you can try.... Click on Start, in the search box type .  Now double check on 'Mouse', that will launch Mouse Properties window. In there click on Device Setting Tab. Click on the Disable button. Below is screenshot of what I am talking about...

Untitled picture.png

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Student
11denarius
Message 4 of 8 (11,785 Views)

Thanks for the help on the touchpad turning off on the dv5, it was really aggravating me when I would have to restart my computer for it to turn back on.

Honor Student
b322da
Message 5 of 8 (11,536 Views)

Am I embarrassed!  4 months later and I see your kind response.  I just assumed (fatal, I know) that I would get an email when a reply came in, but I cannot recall having done so.

My laptop is labeled "dv5-2074dx."  No lighted key just above the touchpad.  Only key with a lighted spot (orange or white) is up top -- f12, labeled  "1".

Tks so much for coming back to me.  I do apologize most sincerely.

Jim

Honor Student
JasonBourne
Message 6 of 8 (10,934 Views)

Why the touchpad was even invented is beyond me...what a piece of junk and hogger of keyboard real estate!!

Student
kleyver
Message 7 of 8 (3,610 Views)

necesito saber porque mi tuochpad de mi pavilion dv5 no funciona no puedo manejar el puntero y tampoco puedo pulsar el boton para bloquearlo y que no se pueda usar, me dicen que le falta un controlador pero ya le puse un synaptics pero no se cual y que haga funcionar mi mause. porfavor 

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 8 of 8 (3,571 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Kleyver,

You have posted on an English based support forum, please post your issue onto the Spanish forum for better assistance. Here is the link to use, that will allow you to post your issue. You may have to create another profile before you post your issue.

Thanks 
Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation