Question

Honor Student
maryland_lawyer
Message 1 of 4 (2,332 Views)

Can anyone recommend a brand of laptops that WON'T overheat and have black screen issues?

I am very unimpressed with the service from HP.  I have a Pavilion DV9000z.  My screen went black and I can't do anything on this computer.  

Unfortunately, I got my computer in 2008.  SO apparently not covered by a warranty.  Even though it is a known issue and apparently very common, based on other posts I've seen here. 

Any suggestions?

Teacher
Teacher
JRI
Message 2 of 4 (2,324 Views)

Re: Can anyone recommend a brand of laptops that WON'T overheat and have black screen issues?

Any laptop or desktop, for that matter, can have problems. The question you should be asking is; What manufacturer leads the pack at standing behind their product?

No manufacturer is going to stand behind a computert that is out of warranty. Reading some posts you would think that even under warranty you could have problems. So, what to do?

You hope for the best. All computer manufacturers assemble their product from components made by others. In the end you are betting on that manufacturer picking the combination of components that will work together. Unfortunately, I don't think that longevity is high on the list of attributes the manufacturers strive for.

In the end it comes down to the experience that the consumer has with his personal machine. Check the support forums for all the manufacturers and you will find the same complaints about quality, service and warranties.

I recently purchased my first HP switching from Dell and Micron before that and I've had good experience with all of them. My reason for switching brands was the system offered when it came time for a new computer. I made my choice based on the system components available and the value offered by the manufacturer. This time HP won out.

Honor Student
maryland_lawyer
Message 3 of 4 (2,311 Views)

Re: Can anyone recommend a brand of laptops that WON'T overheat and have black screen issues?

Appreciate the tip, but overheating appears to be one of HP's distinguishing features, based on the reactions of the tech support people I finally took my computer to. Also, check out CNet.

They recommended Toshiba.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 4 (2,292 Views)

Everybody makes bad notebooks including Toshiba, I suggest you spend some time on the Toshiba forums to get a feel for the problems they have, remember they don't sell nearly as many units a HP.

HP stands out because they sell so many more notebooks than anyone else, the more you sell the more complaints you will have, but would bet the percentage of lemons is fairly equal across all manufacturers.

Apple use to have stellar reputation for good hardware, but since their sales numbers have grown drastically in recent years., it is becoming apparent that they have just as many lemons.

I have always looked at "consumer" notebooks as a gamble from any manufacturer.
The business line of notebooks from HP and Dell are much better build quality, but most people do not want them because they don't have much style, features or included software.

Yes the DV2000, 6000 and 9000 series was a very poor design and build quality.

This is a common problem on that 9000 series, you might consider sending it in for repairs, this is a very reputable company and very reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260674058980

I own 2 newer HP notebooks that so far have given good service to me, one is over a year old the other is 3 months. I also have an older Dell Latitude D600 and T60 Thinkpad, still running strong.

IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads have a stellar reputation but are a business class of notebooks

By the time you know for sure a certain model is a good one (3 years old and few problems reported), they don't make it anymore, 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation