Question

Tutor
bleach-eminem
Message 1 of 5 (741 Views)

Can't change my password on Envy dv6 notebook

[ Edited ]

My laptop is an Envy dv6 with Windows 8. I haven't set up a password for my account. I've only used the HP simple pass fingerprint reader to log onto my laptop account. Today I restarted my laptop in safe mode and when it was starting up again, it asked me to enter a password and the fingerprint reader wasn't working! I didn't know what to do because I don't have a password so I had no idea what I was supposed to type in. I finally restored my laptop and it started up normally and I logged in with the fingerprint reader. After that, when I went to the control panel to create a password for my account, it said "change password" and it would ask me to enter a current password. so please help me! What am I supposed to write?! what do i do?? :smileyfrustrated:

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 5 (711 Views)

Re: Can't change my password on Envy dv6 notebook

Uninstall Simple Pass from the control panel then install this http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Windows/HPSimplePass.aspx

THX

Student
scole456
Message 3 of 5 (599 Views)

Thank you. One thing that would help a little more is if you would explain how to get to ' export user identity from SETTINGS menu & print a web card from OPTIONS menu before uninstalling Simple Pass.' I was all over the place looking for this instruction. This came from the website you recommended.
Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 5 (595 Views)

Were you looking under "Settings" and "Options" while in the SimplePass software?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Regents Professor
lions99
Message 5 of 5 (589 Views)

@scole456, glad I could help! 

Also, thanks for the KUDOS! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation