Can't open my dvd tray & dvds won't play anymore (5298 Views)
Top Student
corieanne62
Message 1 of 7 (5,298 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't open my dvd tray & dvds won't play anymore

I have an HP Pavillion dv6810 laptop.  Recently I tried to play a dvd, but the computer didn't recognize that there was a dvd inserted.  I should preface by saying that a few days before I attempted to access a data cd, but was unable to do so.  Anyway, when I next tried to use the dvd player, it would not recognize that there was a dvd in the machine.  Now, sadly, I can't seem to open the dvd tray.  It's stuck and  nothing I've tried will open it.  I have tried opening it externally as well as internally by clicking on "Eject" from Quick Play.  I've even tried prying it open, but it's really stuck on one end.

I don't want to have to take the machine in to a repair shop.  They'll have it forever and I need it for my work every day. 

Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 7 (5,288 Views)

Re: Can't open my dvd tray & dvds won't play anymore

Hi, sounds like you may have a defective optical drive.

To remove the media insert a paperclip into the release access in the front bezel of the optical drive and gently push on the paperclip until the tray is released.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
corieanne62
Message 3 of 7 (5,273 Views)

Thanks.  That was helpful.  Was finally able to open the tray.  However, I can not seem to resolve the drive problem.  I checked in my Device Manager and the CD/DVD drive isn't even listed, nor is the E: drive shown on My Computer.  This sucks.  I can't do anything without my CD/DVD drive.  How do I fix this?  I'm totally NOT computer literate.  I can't even seem to find the proper driver "stuff" to download from HP''s website.  If someone can give me some simpleton instructions on how to fix my problem I'd really appreciate it.  Otherwise, I'm just going to buy a new laptop, because who can function with a CD/DVD drive? 

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 4 of 7 (5,262 Views)

Hi, take a look at this HP help page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
corieanne62
Message 5 of 7 (5,257 Views)

Yeah...I tried that, and everything else on the website.  Nothing.  Then, I clicked on a tag for dvd and found an entry that suggested I download MagicISO and MacigDisc.  That worked!  My E: drive is back.  But, thanks for taking the time to respond to my message.  It's nice to know that people care enough to try and help someone out.  ~:-)

Honor Student
AngryONE
Message 6 of 7 (3,497 Views)

Maybe you should buy one that provides support, not relying on its CUSTOMERS to provide that support to one another.

Student
mdbrown1980
Message 7 of 7 (2,845 Views)

I have the same problem as you, but I am finding no slution. I looked up magicso and get some gaming thing for kids... I would certainly appreciate the feedback, thx in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation