Question

Top Student
Badatti2d
Message 1 of 2 (5,166 Views)

Can't start in Safe Mode...

I have a fairly new (less than 1 year old) HP G72 Notebook PC, with no additions or conversions of any kind.  Over the past week, I have noticed that I have been having problems using IE9 (it hangs on almost every web page I go to, and takes forever to load).  I have done a great deal of research in other 'tech' forums, and have followed almost all the advise given to others experiencing what seems to be the same problem...

My concern is that most of the advise says to start in Safe Mode with Networking and run scans to check for nasties...I have run multiple scans, including Avira Antivir, Spybot, Malwarebyte's AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware (all installed and freshly updated), as well as ESET's online scan and TrendMicro online scans, and have cleaned up everything found (not much, though :mansad: ).  The only thing I haven't tried, is starting in Safe Mode With Networking, but only because I can't seem to get the F8 key to work when starting this laptop. I was wondering if there is another avenue to explore to start in Safe Mode? Since the F8 key on this laptop also seems to be either the 'Next' or 'Fast Forward' key.  Believe me when I say, I have tried numerous times to make the F8 key work, including pressing the 'fn' key at the same time, which someone said might work, all attempts to no avail.  I really need help here, please.

Thanks for any response or reply.

Bill

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 2 (5,157 Views)

Re: Can't start in Safe Mode...

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Yes there is another way to load Safe Mode. Try the steps below once you are logged into the Windows desktop...

i) Type msconfig in the start search button on the left corner. (check the attached pic)

ii) If it comes up with any warning click yes or continue.

iii) It'll open the System Configuration window as shown in the attached picture.

iv) Next click the Boot button at the Top and check the Box next to Safe Mode under Boot Options. If you want Safe Mode with Networking then you will have to select the Network button also at the bottom.(Pic attached)

But if you are having trouble only with IE then i would recommend to do the following:

i) First download any alternate browser like mozilla,opera..etc

ii) Once alternate browser is installed then completely Uninstall IE9 and then Restart.

ii) Reinstall IE 9 again and check.

IE 9: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation