Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do I change my keyboard so that when I type ' and " I can get letters such as é and ü straight from the keyboard? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Omg I finally found the answer!

I contacted HP tech support by telephone and they provided me the following links:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/keyboard-shortcuts-for-international-characters-HP005186...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=how+to+enable+to+short+cut+using+special...

From the second link, I was able to find the following document:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

Which describes the exact layout that I wanted. So to get the foreign language characters (e.g. ' and e = é) the default language (in Region and Language in control panel) needs to be changed to English (US) - United States-International. If you don't want the foreign language characters (e.g. ' and e = 'e) then the default language needs to be English (US) - US.

I think my settings got changed when I told Microsoft Word to make the default language English (Australia) so then I just needed to change the default language in Region and Language to English (Australia) - United States-International rather than English (Australia) - US.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Can someone please help?

HP Recommended

I still need help with this!

HP Recommended

Does my question not make sense? Or does no one know the answer to it?

HP Recommended

I'd like to know how to *stop* getting those characters, and have posted in this Forum asking basically that.

If someone answers my question, it might prove to be the answer to yours as well.

Good luck to both of us.

HP Recommended

Haha I love your user name!

HP Recommended

I just read your threads... When I had the setting that I am looking for turned on, I didn't lose the function of keys like ? and @.

Instead keys like ' and " and ^ that are used to make symbols such as ó and ÿ and ê would only work after another key was pressed after them. If that key was a letter that would create one of the symbols, then it would make that symbol, but if it was a letter unrelated to any symbol, it would simply have the two characters separately, like 'p and "t and ^f. The character could be put on its own by pressing the space bar after the ' or " or ^.

For example:

' and o make ó

" and y make ÿ 

^ and e make ê

' and p make 'p

" and t make "t

^ and f make ^f

' and space make '

" and space make "

^ and space make ^

I think both our problems have something to do with the language keyboard setting icon thingy in the task bar, but mine has disappeared since the setting has been switched off...

HP Recommended

Can someone please assist me with this?!!!

HP Recommended

I STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS! I AM ANGRY AND GOING TO KEEP POSTING UNTIL I GET THE HELP I NEED!

HP Recommended
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.