Compaq CQ56 overheating (3519 Views)
Student
Altarwise
Message 1 of 9 (3,519 Views)

Compaq CQ56 overheating

I got the laptop about a month or two ago, and it was fine for a while, but then I noticed that it started getting very hot and the fan would get really loud. I've checked the fan grill for dust and I didn't notice any obstructions.

I downloaded a program yesterday to check how hot it was getting, and it's running around 70-80 C when I'm just checking mails and on the internet, and it's peaked at 91. The lowest that it's gone is 48 and that's when it was left for a few hours. I don't want to run the risk of burning my components out, so I just wanted to know what might be causing it and how I might fix it.

Master's Graduate
Jolly_Rogers
Message 2 of 9 (3,490 Views)

Re: Compaq CQ56 overheating

I would recommend you going through the following document and also ensure that you use the notebook on a flat surface. Also you can update the BIOS on your notebook to the latest version from www.hp.com.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Student
lmos1g09
Message 3 of 9 (3,193 Views)

I have exactly the same problem when it is on a flat surface it overheats within about 10 minutes of use.

What is going to be done about this? I have had the laptop no more than 6 months.

What can I do? HP should resolve this issue so the question is more like what are you guys going to do please?

Thank you.

Liam

Student
sparkles257
Message 4 of 9 (2,664 Views)

I am having the same problem. My CQ56 heats up and the fan goes into overdriver in less than 10min. I would really appreciate if anyone can point me to a solution.

Honor Student
jthomas124124
Message 5 of 9 (1,787 Views)

Hello

I am having the same issue as stated in the above comments when i bought this CQ56 laptop last year it was fine stayed cool and ran fine after a few months it started to get hot while doing simple tasks and then recently in the past couple of months it keeps peaking at 95°C. this is so hot the computer shuts down. Yes i am using the laptop on a flat surface and there is nothing in the way of the vents, but this is so hot that it is not usable. What i would like to know is how to fix this and if it cant be fixed what to do instead.

Thanks

James

Tutor
Chris-Ryan
Message 6 of 9 (1,784 Views)

try to buy 2 small usb computer fan, then try to put 2 bottle cups at the back of your laptop. As what you can see on the picture, i put the fan at the side and at the back of my laptop and i put the 2 bottle cups at the bottom back of my laptop , now my laptop is in slanting position, that's the best solution i made to prevent my laptop from oveheating.2013-06-04 21.16.05.jpg

Honor Student
jthomas124124
Message 7 of 9 (1,778 Views)

Hello

Yes that would work but defeats the point of calling it a laptop which is ment to be PORTABLE, if you do as you have suggested then you might as well just have bought a DESKTOP computer. so overall doesnt solve the problem.

Thanks

James Thomas

Tutor
Chris-Ryan
Message 8 of 9 (1,768 Views)

2 years of observing HP laptops overheating is always the problem of any HP laptop, you can't do anything about it . Even try closing apps or whatsoever, HP laptop have only a small CPU fan and it's not easily accessible , so if you really like a PORTABLE LAPTOP you should try buy other brand of laptop. that's only my opinion.

Thanks

Chris
Student
officerdibble
Message 9 of 9 (665 Views)

Altarwise wrote:

I got the laptop about a month or two ago, and it was fine for a while, but then I noticed that it started getting very hot and the fan would get really loud. I've checked the fan grill for dust and I didn't notice any obstructions.

I downloaded a program yesterday to check how hot it was getting, and it's running around 70-80 C when I'm just checking mails and on the internet, and it's peaked at 91. The lowest that it's gone is 48 and that's when it was left for a few hours. I don't want to run the risk of burning my components out, so I just wanted to know what might be causing it and how I might fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation