Question

Student
Message 1 of 9 (4,477 Views)

Compaq CQ56 overheating

I got the laptop about a month or two ago, and it was fine for a while, but then I noticed that it started getting very hot and the fan would get really loud. I've checked the fan grill for dust and I didn't notice any obstructions.

I downloaded a program yesterday to check how hot it was getting, and it's running around 70-80 C when I'm just checking mails and on the internet, and it's peaked at 91. The lowest that it's gone is 48 and that's when it was left for a few hours. I don't want to run the risk of burning my components out, so I just wanted to know what might be causing it and how I might fix it.

Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 9 (4,448 Views)

Re: Compaq CQ56 overheating

I would recommend you going through the following document and also ensure that you use the notebook on a flat surface. Also you can update the BIOS on your notebook to the latest version from www.hp.com.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Student
Message 3 of 9 (4,151 Views)

I have exactly the same problem when it is on a flat surface it overheats within about 10 minutes of use.

What is going to be done about this? I have had the laptop no more than 6 months.

What can I do? HP should resolve this issue so the question is more like what are you guys going to do please?

Thank you.

Liam

Student
Message 4 of 9 (3,622 Views)

I am having the same problem. My CQ56 heats up and the fan goes into overdriver in less than 10min. I would really appreciate if anyone can point me to a solution.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 9 (2,745 Views)

Hello

I am having the same issue as stated in the above comments when i bought this CQ56 laptop last year it was fine stayed cool and ran fine after a few months it started to get hot while doing simple tasks and then recently in the past couple of months it keeps peaking at 95°C. this is so hot the computer shuts down. Yes i am using the laptop on a flat surface and there is nothing in the way of the vents, but this is so hot that it is not usable. What i would like to know is how to fix this and if it cant be fixed what to do instead.

Thanks

James

Tutor
Message 6 of 9 (2,742 Views)

try to buy 2 small usb computer fan, then try to put 2 bottle cups at the back of your laptop. As what you can see on the picture, i put the fan at the side and at the back of my laptop and i put the 2 bottle cups at the bottom back of my laptop , now my laptop is in slanting position, that's the best solution i made to prevent my laptop from oveheating.2013-06-04 21.16.05.jpg

Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (2,736 Views)

Hello

Yes that would work but defeats the point of calling it a laptop which is ment to be PORTABLE, if you do as you have suggested then you might as well just have bought a DESKTOP computer. so overall doesnt solve the problem.

Thanks

James Thomas

Tutor
Message 8 of 9 (2,726 Views)

2 years of observing HP laptops overheating is always the problem of any HP laptop, you can't do anything about it . Even try closing apps or whatsoever, HP laptop have only a small CPU fan and it's not easily accessible , so if you really like a PORTABLE LAPTOP you should try buy other brand of laptop. that's only my opinion.

Thanks

Chris
Student
Message 9 of 9 (1,623 Views)

Altarwise wrote:

I got the laptop about a month or two ago, and it was fine for a while, but then I noticed that it started getting very hot and the fan would get really loud. I've checked the fan grill for dust and I didn't notice any obstructions.

I downloaded a program yesterday to check how hot it was getting, and it's running around 70-80 C when I'm just checking mails and on the internet, and it's peaked at 91. The lowest that it's gone is 48 and that's when it was left for a few hours. I don't want to run the risk of burning my components out, so I just wanted to know what might be causing it and how I might fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation