Compaq Presario C762nr Shutdown (Sudden) (1121 Views)
Honor Student
josephfarah
Message 1 of 7 (1,121 Views)

Compaq Presario C762nr Shutdown (Sudden)

A little over a year ago I bough a Presario C762nr.  It worked fine, with Vista installed, but the fan was always very loud.

A few months ago, it started to shutdown.  That seemed to go away and then a few weeks ago it started again.  After a few seconds to a few minutes, it shuts down.  This happens:

On battery or plug-in, including plug-in with the battery removed.

In regular mode or safe mode.

I can get it up in safe mode long enough to copy some files to a USB drive.

But I can't use it.   I think it's overheating because it has always run very hot.  However I saw a post that said it might be a problem with the on/off switch.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Joe

Teacher
KREAMEDCORN
Message 2 of 7 (1,112 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario C762nr Shutdown (Sudden)

The only things  you can try before costly repair is to try a chillpad and try updating the bios. You can find the bios on hp's website. It controls the alegrothems of the fan so if it is out o wack a update will adjust it and may start cooling the nb properly. Ive included a link to the software and driver downloads. Look on the bottom of your nb for the product # it will be on the Service Tag and will likely say P/N beside it. Select your operating system from the list and then look for Bios Winflash utility. Download and run it. After you install it your nb will be shutdown. Turn the nb on and see if that helped. If that doesn't work and you are not under any extended warranty then the cost of repair is likely going to be around $400.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Support

Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
josephfarah
Message 3 of 7 (1,109 Views)

So in other words, 15 months after warranty runs out and the nb has severe problems, it's just a bookweight.  Last time I'll buy from HP if the bios fix doesn't work.  My other nb, an HP Pavillion runs much cooler (still hot), but has a  number of pixel outages (never had that on Dell) and the touch panel above the keypad gets triggered frequently (Volume or QuickPlay - the latter is a real pain as I have to wait until it starts up so that I can exit it).

I don't think any computer's perfect, but if HP is going to sell junk and not admit to it and repair it at no cost, HP is not going to have this customer anymore.

Honor Student
josephfarah
Message 4 of 7 (1,107 Views)

Last message should have read 3 months after (15 months after purchase).

Teacher
KREAMEDCORN
Message 5 of 7 (1,106 Views)

Extended warranties are always a must for hp or dell notebook. I've worked in the computer industry for about 10 years and have worked on several dells. They have overheating issues too and if they are out of warranty they are going to charge you for repair too whether its 3 months past the factory warranty or just a day.

Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
multibyte
Message 6 of 7 (1,047 Views)

Has your problem been resolved without expensive motherboard swap/repair?

I have the same problem and have done everything I can possibly think of without any luck.  This link is my post of what I've done so far:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Presario-C762nr-Shuts-Down-seems-to-be-overheatin...

In my opinion, I think it's the GPU that is overheating, possible design defect.  I'd love to replace the GPU unit but it's SMT/BGA and I don't have equipment.  More likely have to send it in to have it replaced.

Student
mramstedt
Message 7 of 7 (1,022 Views)

Hi there,

Have you tried opening the notebook and vacuuming out all the dirt from the fan casing. Mine was full of dirt and there was no decent airflow and the notebook sounded like a jet engine and was very slow all the time.

Now quiet and runs fast again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation