Question

Top Student
Jutta77
Message 1 of 17 (460 Views)

Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX notebook

I have a two year old Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX notebook and I cannot load it past the startup screen, then the only thing you see is the white mouse arrow and a black screen. I also cannot recall receiving a Restore Disk at the time of purchase, so I don't know what to do from here on. Please help.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 17 (444 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX notebook

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
fantamace
Message 3 of 17 (436 Views)

I think the OS failed to load here. Not sure which F key you need to press at start up to access the recovery manager for this model tho. 

Top Student
Jutta77
Message 4 of 17 (429 Views)

Thank you so much for your help. I ran the ShortTest for Primary Hard Disk Self Test and after it finished it went right into the Long Test which took about 45 minutes to run. The message at the end said : Smart Test passed and Hard Disk Test passed.

Then I continues to run the Memory Test and the message at the end was : Memory Test Pass

Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 17 (426 Views)

Hi,

Can you let me know the following.

1.  What version of Windows is installed on the notebook?

2.  Will the notebook load in Safe Mode?  You can check this as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter. 

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jutta77
Message 6 of 17 (419 Views)

My computer runs on Windows 7 and yes , it does load in Safe Mode .

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 17 (410 Views)

Hi,

Start the notebook in Safe Mode again and let Windows fully load.  Hold down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to each start up item and then click Apply to make the change.  

Restart the notebook and see if Windows will load normally.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jutta77
Message 8 of 17 (404 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried it and I can only get to the enlarged blue screen in safe mode , the screen says Windows 7 and the mouse wheel runs for a little bit, next screen I get is black with the words "safe mode" written in all four corners of the screen, and the middle of the screen on the very top edge reads "Microsoft(R)Windows(R)( Build 7601: Service Pack1)...and the white arrow from my mouse...that's it.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 17 (400 Views)

Hi,

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

Select the 'Repair your Computer' option and follow Option 2 in the guide on the link below to run Start-up Repair – you may need to run this 2 or 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

If the above fails to help, make a note of any error messages you may get during the procedure and include them with your next post.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jutta77
Message 10 of 17 (393 Views)

After creating a Repair Disk, I got all the way to the step where it says "repair the computer ", then the next window reads "System Recovery Options"

To access recovery options, log on as a local user.

To access the prompt as well, log on using an administrator account.

User name:     there is gives me only two options        user

HomeGroupUser$

Password:

The $ sign is not a mistake, that is how it actually shows up in the window !

And it doesn't give me the option to change the user name to my user name at all.

That is as far as I can get. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation