Question

Honor Student
swampchuck
Message 1 of 13 (13,904 Views)

Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR Black Screen

First off I posted this in another forum (Lockups, Freezes, & Hangs), but not sure if that was correct as this is a startup problem….so forgive me if this was wrong, as I’m new and confused.

My CQ62 lap top was purchased three weeks ago from Staples.

About five days ago it started with the black screen and blinking cap-lock led upon startup.

I did try returning/exchanging at Staples, but their return policy is only for 14 days.

Doing the suggested “Hard Reset” (unplug, battery out, hold power button for twenty seconds,..etc.) does get it started.

The cap-lock led blinks a series of five, which according to this site’s support info indicates a motherboard problem.

So I’m wondering is the motherboard really going bad in less than a month, or is something else going on here?

Note: I did update the bios to the HP recommended newer firmware.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Chuck

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 13 (13,899 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR Black Screen

This suggest there is general hardware issue not pin pointing to system board itself...so we can start with taking the memory modules and checking if the status changes... that is, if the blink codes changes from 5 to 3

On the power Drain part, I would guess, you try doing a power drain with RTC battery removed (I am talking abt the coin cell, which I think is accessible on CQ62 series...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 3 of 13 (13,899 Views)

You say the Hard-reset gets it started, can you boot into the BIOS by tapping "f10" while booting.

Does it let you in the BIOS?

If so go to the diagnostic tab and run the hard-drive and memory Tests, if either fail call tech support.

BTW there will be two hard drive tests, a short one and a long one, if it fails the short stop and call, if it passes the short, run the long to be safe.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Student
RONCLIFT
Message 4 of 13 (13,620 Views)

powers up, blinking blue lite (caps lock button) blinks continually. power button switch lite on. the f12 orange lite stays on

. black screen and wont power down

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 5 of 13 (13,609 Views)

@ RONCLIFT  - That indicates a CPU related Failure...I would suggest doing a power drain by taking the battery out, disconnecting AC adpater and Press and hold the power button for few secs... See if that currents the issue, if not than you will need to get the notebook checked...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Student
WillieD6412
Message 6 of 13 (10,651 Views)

I am a Computer tech certified too and decided to help out a friend with his laptop it is a CQ62-209WM it is having the same issue blank screen, power light comes on stays on the Wireless light stays orange and the Caps lock light flashes a light blue color I check this post about a week ago and there was only one post now there is a few any who I did what the HP tech said to do pull the power cord pull the battery push and hold the power button as long as 40 or 50 seconds and put battery/ power back on and nothing except same issue well today my friend received a new CPU for it because I thought that is what was wrong and I replaced it tonight and same issue we ordered it on Ebay and it looked like the one I removed but any way like I said the same issue blinking caps lock light what can I do now I would really like to get this working for him

Tutor
doormatt
Message 7 of 13 (10,534 Views)

i have the exact same issue as you willie. Ive just purchased a new cpu and still the exact same issue. These error codes on this site are a waste of time. Ive had a reflow performed no change. a new cpu no change. Im guessing the whole motherboard has had it. ive tried different memory and also drained power i.e. take cmos battery out etc still nothing.

Student
AnthonyZero
Message 8 of 13 (9,479 Views)

It's a GPU problem, happened to me. I didn't want to bother fixing it and just brought a new motherboard. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc

lower your volume. . .

Student
jlovda
Message 9 of 13 (9,336 Views)

I removed the two Elphedia 2gb memory modules and replaced them with two 1gb modules I removed from another laptop.  Booted up and runs fine.  Good luck

Honor Student
ims079
Message 10 of 13 (7,066 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just found this site while searching for a solution to CQ42 not booting and capslock LED flashing

constantly.Changed RAM but still no good. Reseated CPU but still no good. Checked Voltage to motherboard, AC adapter but still no good. Did a HARD reset many times but still no good.

It looks like the problem may be the graphics chip (GPU).

Found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vDFXh_O8HM    (reflow on cq42 Graphics Chip GPU)

I Will give it a go tonight, since warranty ran out last year, and will let you know how

I go tommorrow.

New motherboard too expensive.

Will buy new laptop if all fails.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation