Message 1 of 2 (2,006 Views)

Computer Won't Shut Down

[ Edited ]

I can't get my computer to shut down. 

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 2 (1,929 Views)

Re: Computer Won't Shut Down

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear that is a virus/adware/spyware but it can be any driver that is incompatible or haveing a problem. Run a full scan with your anti-virus program. When you finish, restart your machine and keep tapping the F10 key until you enter the HP utilities and run the hard drive test and the memory test.  After that we will start to look in the msconfig and startup files and/or use the task manager to see what is still running in the background. Is this what you mean or do you just have a frozen screen and want to know how to turn off the computer? Hold in the power button for 5 or more seconds or flip the power switch on the back of the computer.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation