Question

Top Student
hfurt
Message 1 of 21 (22,692 Views)

Connection Manager "not supported" on new laptop (preinstalled) - error

Hello. I just received a new laptop (pavilion g6 with windows 7 64). HP has a bunch of things preinstalled - one of which is HP Connection Manager. I am currently online and my internet is working fine, but after each restart I get an error as follows:

"HPConnectionManager.exe - Fatal error"

"HP Connection Manager Service has stopped responding. Please exit and restart the application."

"A Fatal error occured, check the HP Connection Manager in Event Viewer  for more details. "

"Retrieving the COM class factor for component  with CLSID {24DB46C8-C842-4E91-9AC4-8A9525A5551D} failed due to the following error" 80070422."

This is rather annoying as this is a new laptop and would really like NOT to have this error for the next 5 years. I also attempted to uninstall, but it tells me midway through the uninstall that this application is not supported. So I tried downloading a new version and installing it - "this applicaiton is not supported. So I go into msconfig and disable the HP Connection manager process - still happens. SO how do I fix/remove this and what is causing it? Im out of ideas.

HELP!!!  

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 21 (22,690 Views)

Re: Connection Manager "not supported" on new laptop (preinstalled) - error

Hi

hfurt wrote:

Hello. I just received a new laptop (pavilion g6 with windows 7 64). HP has a bunch of things preinstalled - one of which is HP Connection Manager. I am currently online and my internet is working fine, but after each restart I get an error as follows:

"HP Connection Manager Service has stopped responding. Please exit and restart the application."

"A Fatal error occured, check the HP Connection Manager in Event Viewer  for more details. "

"Retrieving the COM class factor for component  with CLSID {24DB46C8-C842-4E91-9AC4-8A9525A5551D} failed due to the following error" 80070422."

This is rather annoying as this is a new laptop and would really like NOT to have this error for the next 5 years. I also attempted to uninstall, but it tells me midway through the uninstall that this application is not supported. So I tried downloading a new version and installing it - "this applicaiton is not supported. So I go into msconfig and disable the HP Connection manager process - still happens. SO how do I fix/remove this and what is causing it? Im out of ideas.

HELP!!!  

Type msconfig in the Search programs and files box and then left-click on msconfig to invoke it. Select the Startup tab and find ConnectionManager and remove the checkmark in the box next to it. Select OK to close MSConfig.

Type Control Panel in the Search programs and files box and then left-click on the Control Panel icon to invoke it. Select Programs and features.  Find HP Connection Manager and left-click it and then select Uninstall.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
hfurt
Message 3 of 21 (22,689 Views)

Hi Erico

Unfotunately that doesnt work. The HP Communication Manager is not listed in the startup programs under msconfig, and when I try to run the uninstall program for it from control panel it tells me "unsupported program" and closes.

Any other ideas?

Ryan

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 21 (22,683 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please identify your notebook/pc .

Look at the base/rear/side of the notebook/pc at the barcoded sticker.

Post items numbered 1 and 2 on the following example of an HP notebook's barcodedimage. Your barcode may be slightly different but will still have the important imformation needed for us to help you.  

###Do not post the serial number as it is personal information.###
c01931836.gif
Post the installed operating system version ( and whether it is 32 or 64-bit ) and whether the CPU is an AMD or Intel product

Not posting all of the information as requested will delay our responses and slow troubleshooting of the issue that led you to author a thread.

Is your notebook/PC still within its warranty period?

Try AutoRuns from Microsoft Technet. You should be able to see what is set to run when you start your PC and stop the undesired programs/services from running.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
kabookee36
Message 5 of 21 (22,487 Views)

Hi!

I was wondering if you found a fix for this problem.  I have the same problem.  I was on the phone with HP 1-2 hours and we did not find a solution.  I transferred all the files from my old Sony laptop with PC mover to my new HP laptop and it took 6-8 hours with transfer and setup.  The only solution HP came up with was a total recovery and I really do not want to do everything all over again!

Please respond.

Thanks!

Student
srivino
Message 6 of 21 (22,058 Views)

i too had the same pbm.. i too looked into this forum... so sad i didnt get the solution. i just go in to the control panel and see the programs... HP connection manager is listed there. Do right click and repair it.. it ll work.. Simply cool !!1

Student
washintondc1977
Message 7 of 21 (21,880 Views)

hfurt wrote:

HELP!!!  

Hello.  I just recenlty purchased a new netbook (HP Mini 110) and a smilar message appeared.

Something in the line of:

"HPConnectionManager.exe - Error"

I hit OK and I was still connected in the Internet and can go online.  It happened once only.  Was it a hiccup?

I looked online and it said HPConnectionManager.exe could be a virus.  Is it?  This is a BRAND new netbook.  I literally opened it yestereday.  Connecting to the internet was fine yesterday until this message popped up when I connected again this afternoon.  I disconnected, turned off my netbook, turned it back on and re-established connection.  The message didn't show up again.

Just wondering if this was normal.  Is it a virus/malware?

Thanks,

Demi aka washingtondc1977

Honor Student
aowald
Message 8 of 21 (21,648 Views)

All,

I ran across this error and the simplest means for fixing this issue for me was to repair the program.

Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs

You'll want to see the full list of applications installed on your computer.  When you see this, highlight the listing for the HP Connection Manager, then click "Repair" on top of this Window.  The repair should happen automatically.  Restart your computer to verify that the repair worked.  To confirm this, try conducting some online activity via your internet browser.  Also, take a look in the systray area to see the HP Connection Manager Icon displayed.  If you don't have the error message pop up as frequently as before and you see the icon, I'd be willing to be that your issue is now resolved.

Best of luck!

PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 9 of 21 (21,371 Views)

I found a later release of the application, this is version 4.1.22.1 (27 June 2011)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

If any of you want to try this and let me know the result, also please ensure that you go to your notebooks driver page and ensure you have the latest BIOS (or newer, it can happen) loaded on your notebook.

Thanks.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Student
Kean
Message 10 of 21 (21,271 Views)

Hi Bookworm,

I tested out by downloading from the link and it work.

Now, I'm no longer getting the error.

Thanks.

Kean

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation