Question

Student
typo
Message 1 of 17 (3,063 Views)

Curser is skipping around while typing

While typing in word or other office applications, the cursor will suddenly move to another part of the text or another cell depending on the applicationIn some cases, it will highlight an area and then the next character that I type, it will erase the entire selected area.

Need help, this is extremely frustrating.

Thanks!

Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 2 of 17 (3,077 Views)

Re: Curser is skipping around while typing

[ Edited ]

Without any info on your system it's kind of hard to give you specifics to go and look at, but if you're using a notebook, the most likely cause is the Touchpad  between your hands below the keyboard that you use instead of a mouse. When you're typing, the sensitivity is high enough that if your hands are large they'll interact with the pad and move the cursor just when you don't want it to move. Personally I use an HP mini-Bluetooth mouse and turn mine Touchpad off (the switch on most HP notebooks is right above the Touchpad itself) since my hands are pretty large. I can't type anything without moving it.

If your hands are big and you have a smaller keyboard, sometimes users tend to accidentally hit the Up Arrow or Left Arrow keys with their pinky finger when typing, and that'll move it as well.

If you have another system in the area that uses a wireless mouse (Logitech, etc.) they can sometimes have a strong enough signal to capture another mouse  device in the area and actually move the cursor and select things. If it's a combo mouse - keyboard, it can even type on another screen. I used to have that problem in my own house - it's a real pain trying to work when the wife or kid is moving their mouse upstairs and controlling yours at the same time. 

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Honor Student
stitchercross
Message 3 of 17 (3,063 Views)

Yay, I can help! I just took my new pavilion back to Best Buy for this.  Easy fix.  Just above your touchpad is tiny button, click on that so that the light goes on.  Problem solved. :smileyhappy:  Hope it does help.
Honor Student
HPNATECH
Message 4 of 17 (3,052 Views)

Hey its very simple.. just Click on Start -> in start search field type (recovery manager ) and click on the recovery manager option > click on continue then u'll get welcome to recovery Manager Window -> click on Advance option -> Hardware Driver Re-installation click next twice -> select Synaptics Touchpad Drivers and click Next -> then click Finish . It will restart the computer . Now check for the problem . M sure u'll be Happy for the resolution. Take Care God Bless You.
Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 5 of 17 (3,040 Views)

People should really learn to READ. One, I already told him to turn off the Touchpad, and two, his Touchpad obviously works so he doesn't need to reinstall the drivers.
Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

Honor Student
stitchercross
Message 6 of 17 (3,030 Views)

At no point did you tell him to turn off his touchpad, might want to READ your own post. Nor did you tell him how.
Honor Student
HPNATECH
Message 7 of 17 (3,008 Views)

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Please reinstall the Drivers and it will be fine.... Dont listen to all other ppl.

Intern
Just_a_Friend
Message 8 of 17 (2,991 Views)

Hey! No point in arguing, we're all trying to help each other out here.
CyberVison and HPNATECH might be both right (sorry stitchercross but your solution only works if the touchpad is not working or off).
Try using an external mouse first and turn off your touchpad and check if the same problem occurs. Then post back.
Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 9 of 17 (2,962 Views)

[ Edited ]

I told him that I turn mine off to fix the problem, which is essentially the same thing. Unlike you, most users know how to operate the basic On/Off switches on their systems

If you weren't smart enough to figure out how to turn off your own Touchpad and had to take to a Geek Squad "Expert" to tell you how, then you shouldn't be jumping up and and down like a 5 yr old telling everyone how "smart" you are when it was someone else who told you what the problem was because you failed to properly learn the basic operation of your system. Typo was at least smart enough to take advantage of other support options - I've fixed more systems screwed up by Best Buy "repairs" and "suggestions" than I can count. While I don't mind the money, their complete and total lack of professional and technical ability pi$$es me off.

I'll admit that sometimes us engineers/techs who have done this longer than most have been alive don't often communicate as well as we'd like, particularly when we help people on our own time and not as a competition for points, but to actually help people. But we do take it for granted that a person who spends a lot of money for a computer has at least taken the responsibility to learn its basic operation, including the various on/off switches and what they do. You obviously didn't do that, and had to take it to someone to tell you how to do something that you should've learned yourself by reading the system manual that came with your notebook. Knowing what they charge, you're exactly the kind of person they make money on.

These forums and many others like them are full of tech wannabe's whose only purpose in life is to look up a possible solution and put it up to try and compete with others. The problem with people like that is that at the end of the day, their lack of real troubleshooting and technical capability in fixing actual systems may in fact lead someone who doesn't know anything to follow bad advice, and be further injured by such actions.  The one who posts goes off on their merry way, oblivious and uncaring as to the fact their stupid suggestions may have in fact led someone to actually lose vital data or equipment, all for the sake of competition or feeling good. 

So spare me the BS retort - if you want to feel good about yourself, then go get your manual and actually learn how your computer works so you don't take up space that's required by people with real problems.

HPNA - Your solution is the solution of all people who have no technical capability, or know how to explain a problem to a user. "If the system has a problem, reinstall the drivers, or reformat the drive to original baseline configuration". Standard useless response of today's BDt (Book & Database tech) just like the ones that HP has manning the phones, not the engineers like me who are actually certified on HP systems and peripherals and know how to fix the hardware and software. The real idiot is the person in your mirror - you're like most people today, throw a generic solution at a problem and hope it works. And if you're lucky, maybe someone will give you points or a lollipop.

No wonder users are fed up with support operations. 

Master's Graduate
WendyM
Message 10 of 17 (2,957 Views)

Just a friendly reminder of the first rule in our Rules of Paricipation:

1. Be respectful. Respect your fellow users by keeping your tone positive and your comments constructive. Good or bad, your experiences are always welcome as long as they are offered in a courteous way. 

Let's not devolve in to personal attacks, thank you!

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation