Cursor jumps all over screen when i'm typing (11669 Views)
Student
Crafter
Message 1 of 18 (11,669 Views)

Cursor jumps all over screen when i'm typing

I've got an HP pavillion entertainment laptop. I use the touchpad, and I use a mouse. When I am typing, either in an email or other documents, i'll be typing along, then I'll look at the screen and my cursor will have jumped to a different place on the page and half of my sentence that I just typed is in a totally different place on the page then where I typed it. It's driving me crazy.  I can't even type a simple email without having to retype and reclick and backspace a hundred times. Anyone have any suggestions?  I've checked all the setting on my mouse and touchpad and nothing is turned on or off that should not be. Also, if the mouse sits too long in any location, it has a mind of its own and just clicks and takes me to places i don't want to go. i have to constantly move the pointer way over to the edge of the desktop so it doesnt click on anything.

thanks for any help you can offer.

Grad Student
Vaika
Message 2 of 18 (11,666 Views)

Re: Cursor jumps all over screen when i'm typing

You're likely pressing on the touchpad on accident.

If your touchpad has an on/off button (a small button near your touchpad that is neither the left or right click, on most newer models), press it and try again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 3 of 18 (11,664 Views)

Also regarding the idle state oddness... what kind of mousepad are you using?  Clean out your mouse near the laser, try a new mousepad... if all else fails... is it possible you have some sort of malware on your system?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Teacher
iam_fletcher
Message 4 of 18 (11,660 Views)

If it jumps all over while you are typing then I agree with the abover poster, you are probably reting your palsm on the thouchpad....turn it off. If you are sitting and just watching the cursor and not doing anything...and ti just starts moving around and clicking and opening things like a person is using it but your not...then you DEFINATLY have a virus or someone remoting your system
The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
Top Student
BPvan
Message 5 of 18 (11,158 Views)

My dv2000 also developed the jumpy cursor problem about a month after I bought it.  I sent it back to HP and they replaced the keyboard.  It worked for a year, right after the warranty expired and now I have the same problem again.  I am going to try an external keyboard.  I don't  want to sink any more $$$ into this piece of crap. Going to buy a new Mac Notebook and be done with HP/Microsoft!
Honor Student
homarmcoelho
Message 6 of 18 (8,994 Views)

to correct that problem:  START / CONTROL PANEL (classic view) / HARDWARE AND SOUND / MOUSE / MOUSE PROPERTIES /   on TAPPING tab  / uncheck box "Tap off when typing", click APPLY, CLICK OK .

Honor Student
RPCHAPIN
Message 7 of 18 (8,964 Views)

Could also be a virus issue. I got a new work HP the cursor jumped all over, ran a scan and it's been working fine.

Student
hp_6465b_ottawa
Message 8 of 18 (6,075 Views)

Hi, my hp ProBook 6465b has the same problem, the cursor jumping all over the place, literally cannot do any work using the laptop keyboard. Please help me with a solution.

Thank you

Honor Student
chan123
Message 9 of 18 (5,164 Views)

Hello! I've never posted on a forum before but I just wanted to say a big thanks to the last guy who said about turning off the button on the touch screen mouse thing to stop the screen jumping around when you type. I just took a massive gamble and traded in my really nice netbook at a second hand back street pc store for this Compaq laptop as I was sick of not having a dvd drive and then when I got this home and tryed to type on it, it kept jumping  around so I was panicked I had been ripped off but turning that button off worked just fine thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
shoosh7
Message 10 of 18 (4,859 Views)

I see alot of comments about the jumping cursor....so what do I do about it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation