Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Since I bought this laptop the cursor would take off and move all over. It would open several applications where I cannot close them without the cursor. I thought it was the touchpad so I bought a wireless mouse to see if it would stop. It hasn't been as frequent but still does take off on its own. I sent it out once for this issue and was told they could not find anything wrong.

It is a Compaq Presario CQ70-118NR notebook

Please let me know if anyone has had this issue and what they did to resolve it. Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I still have same problem.  Bought external mouse and it worked fine.  Mousepad is jerky and pointer jumps around even when my fingers aren't moving.  Did the download fixes 5 times and didn't work.  Sent ENVY computer in to tech services and just got it back.  NOT FIXED and NO DIFFERENCE.  Will let you know if I find a solution.  Why have an HP if the mouse pad doesn't work!  I paid $1800 for this baby.  Thanks for sharing your problem. 

HP Recommended

Hey Woody66 I know what you mean I sent mine out only to be told there was nothing wrong with it. At times my wireless mouse goes haywire too but that only happens once in awhile. I haven't been able to use the touchpad since getting this laptop because of the problem. I have read all the responses that is similar to this but nothing seems to work.  I know these systems aren't cheap so one would expect not to have issues since getting it.

HP Recommended

Another data point.  Cursor jump on HP Mini 210-1000, both Windows and Linux.

I guess touchpads are a little (too) touchy.

HP Recommended

Same problem with my HP laptop.  VERY FRUSTRATING!

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a fix for this?  It's driving me crazy.

HP Recommended
Hey guys,

I see that you're having an issue with the touchpad being a little too sensitive.

Here is document to follow for this issue. http://goo.gl/Q9ocy

You can go down to the " adjust touch sensitivity " section as well as any other if you have multiple issues.

Also, you guys need to make sure the touchpad software is up to date. Go here http://goo.gl/BVOOg and type your Product # or name in and select the Operating System that is yours and then the option > Driver-Keyboard, mouse and input devices and select the Synaptics touchpad update.

THX 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks, but for some reason, when I press Start and enter mouse, then click on MOUSE, I do not get anything about a mouse pad at all.  The laptop seems to think I have an external mouse, I think.  How do I change it back to the mousepad?

HP Recommended

Well sassycat49,

If your touchpad doesn't work at the moment you will need to connect an external mouse up and go down to the section "disable touchpad" and make sure it's not disabled, if so enable it. http://goo.gl/63WPU

Also, you can try  to perform a hard reset to release the stored energy from the notebook. Perform this by:

1. unplugging all accessories and the power cord.
2. Turn the notebook over and make sure that it is turned off.
3. Remove the battery
4. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds which releases the energy
5. Re-insert the battery, plug in the charger and turn it on.

HP Recommended

OK, so I took out the battery, pressed the on button for 10 seconds, put the battery back in.  It still thinks a PS/2 mouse is plugged into a USB port.  I don't have an external mouse to plug in.  Do you have any other thoughts?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.