Question

Honor Student
jay_belfast
Message 1 of 12 (6,487 Views)

DV7 1100em Won't power up

Right so my latop, suddenly turned off, and now won't start up.

Tryed to reset it, (removing power and battery, holding down power button)

Still no luck!

The battery has been broken for a while now, but it should power up without a battery anyway.

The lights dont blink, well only once, and the power fades again!

The fan starts also.

Stays on for 1sec!

The light were you plug the cable in remains lit, as do the light on the front that indicates the power is plugged in!

Well, after leaving it in its bag for 2 months, i decided to try it again today, it powerd right up to logon screen then frooze, so i held down the power button, to turn it off, now it wont turn back on!

I also installed windows 7 on it, and its out of warrenty!

Hope someone can help, Thanks!!

Honor Student
jay_belfast
Message 2 of 12 (6,442 Views)

Re: DV7 1100em Won't power up

BUMP!!!!

Top Student
ladyrebel113065
Message 3 of 12 (6,379 Views)

I have the exact same problem with my dv7 3079wm Entertainment PC. I've noticed this issue has come up quite often within this forum, but no one seems to want to address the issue. So, it leads me to believe that either this is a problem that no one seems to know anything about or it's such a huge problem that HP refuses to acknowledge it or admit that they need to do a massive recall. I, personally, would like a solution to the problem. Here's the problem in a nutshell for those who have no clue what it is:

When I press the power button (whether on ac or battery) the computer will do a very brief (about 3 seconds tops) attempt to start and then just die. When you press the power button again, you're lucky if it does anything at all.

I have tried using other power cords. I have done the reset ritual......doesn't work. I have even done a process of elimination and have removed all hardware from the laptop and replaced it one item at a time to see if it was perhaps a hardware failware problem or if a certain item wasn't seated correctly. No luck. The only thing I'm leaning towards believing right now is, worse case, the motherboard is screwed up or on a lesser level, the power button or ribbon cable or power jack may be bad. ANY suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Honor Student
Ed_Fick
Message 4 of 12 (6,377 Views)

I'm having the same issue. Computer starts, lights and fans come on, dvd drive makes a couple clicking sounds, but the computer just sits there with a blank screen.

I tried removing the cmos battery for an hour. Tried holding down the power button with it unpluged and no battery inserted. Nothing has helped. Someone on youtube even said holding the Fn key and pressing the "display' key (f4  I think) helps bring his back temporaraly. I didnt work for me though, but can't hurt to try.

I contacted HP support and they told me to reseat the ram, HD, and hit the f10 key during bootup. I had already tried using f10, but reseating didn't work either (wasn't expecting it to).

Top Student
ladyrebel113065
Message 5 of 12 (6,329 Views)

O.K. After tons of research I have come to this final conclusion to this issue. HP has a massive issue with the motherboards and/or the power jack connections on these laptops and several Compaq Presario's as well. Will they address the issue? Sort of. Will they offer a solution that actually works?? Doubtful. The only thing I can recommend doing.....and this is only if you feel like spending the time and money.....is to start with the lesser of two evile and first replace the power jack on the mobo. Then, if that doesn't work, replace the mobo itself. Replacing the processor is optional since this is not normally the problem. Then, if either of those two fixes do not work, then you have my permission to hunt me down and kick me. lol At least you'll get SOME satisfaction out of owning a piece of crap laptop. lol

Student
preciousmojeed
Message 6 of 12 (5,774 Views)

I Have the exact problem with my dv7 3079 wm. the computer won't power on; and luckily after a day or two when it finally decides to power on, it either hangs or freezes after few minutes of usage. I'm so unhappy i got this laptop. I plan on taking it to a hp shop; since my warranty is still on........ Anyone knows if i would be asked for a fee to do the repairs?

Student
3seas
Message 7 of 12 (5,557 Views)

dv7-3160us just 15 months old. Same problem. taking the battery out and putting it in the freeze for 10 minutes helped. temporarly. I suspect its some connection problem that probably got influenced by overheating. very possibly on the motherboard with its surface mounted components.

Honor Student
blaaam1
Message 8 of 12 (4,898 Views)

so is there no DIY solution to this problem?

Honor Student
mbizzy87
Message 9 of 12 (4,889 Views)

I have the same problem with my HP laptop dv7-1245dx, can anybody help?

Student
DoctorLes
Message 10 of 12 (4,170 Views)

We have exactly the same problem with our DV7

Years ago, I was an electronics tech; in later years, I've been a computer and electronics geek; I've built many computers and operate Linux, Mac and Windows.  When it comes to electronics and computers I generally know what I'm doing, or how to find solutions if I don't. I have never had to pay someone to fix any of my computers.  I mention this to put some credentials behind what I say below (proceed at your own risk):

What I know so far about this problem is that it is relatively common with this run of laptop.  Also, either the power plug or jack, or both is/are often a culprit.  

First, If you examine the power plug closely you might find that the center, needle-like pin is sheared off; all that will remain is a metallic stub flush with the bottom of the plug's well.  If you find this you need a new plug.  That's because there are three electrodes inside this plug/jack design (very poor design if you ask me). 

If you repalce this and it still does not work then I recommend replacing the jack next (that's the female counterpart to the plug, and is the power hole on the corner of the laptop).  These can be had inexpensively online but it takes some mechanical and electrical work to change it. I can't find the link I had earlier for this; if I find it I'll post it later.

Next, take a deep breath and plunge in; just watch what you are doing closely, go slowly and ask someone for help if you get stuck, you will very likely succeed at replacing it. 

It's either that or take it to a geek or shop for an expensive replacement that may/may not fix the problem.  I wold say if this doesn't do the trick then the laptop is likely too expensive to fix to make it worthwhile to most folks (my opinion).  

NOT for the faint of heart: this is a copy/paste of another post I found; it's for folks who know how to solder tiny components and have nothing left to lose:

start pasted:  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re: DV7 Battery Won't Charge - Tried All Solutions :smileysad: 

Hi y'all.

Combined with the above mentioned problems (with all type of laptops from HP), I have the same (outside the fact that I also have a failed power supply, motherboard and harddisk after just 1,5 year of use).

I also found out what the solution is, and fixed it!

On the mainboard (near the power connector) is a TI chip (Texas Instruments), identified as BQ 24740.

This is the battery loader and power control chip.

It is easlily destroyed by a weak and flimsy external power supply, like what is delivered with HP products.

The de-soldering and soldering is tricky, because it is a QFN package, and very small.

It solved my problem for just $ 6,- .

Sad however, that HP asks $350,- for just looking at the laptop, and then another $ 465,- for a new motherboard.

They seemingly want to sell you another bad product.

Take a look at the huge load of Chinese websites that sell secondhand (ie repaired) HP motherboards, like the Jakoo LA 4082-P (480366) for $150,-. It seems that the bad HP products have started a spin-off of dosens of Chinese repair companies.

Thanks HP, for the support of 2nd (or 1st?) world countries like China.

Regards, and much success whished to you all (you're gonna need it).

Sjouke

end of pasted  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I hope this helps someone 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation