Question

Student
ptrp_rn
Message 1 of 4 (8,110 Views)

DVD/CD ROM drive problem (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA)

Can anyone help me with my problem regarding my HP Pavilion dv9207us Notebook DVD/CD ROM drive... My DIVD/CD ROM drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA) is not working and I looked at the device manager and it has an exclamation point beside it... The device status says:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available

I tried to update the driver but its the driver is up to date.

Thanks!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (8,082 Views)

Re: DVD/CD ROM drive problem (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA)

I assume you have Vista. The first thing to try in your situation is a registry edit involving something called the upper and lower filters. It is a pretty well know fix and has a high chance of working for you. Back up your registry first in case you dont't do it right. Here are the step by step instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Student
paskainos
Message 3 of 4 (5,891 Views)

Thanks Professor,

I tried the HKEY fix from an alternate HP forum post, but to no avail. Thanks for the link to the MS post. The MS FIXIT utility did the trick! I appreciate the help.

Honor Student
CCMA
Message 4 of 4 (5,885 Views)

what did you do to fix it? i tried the ms fixit, but it told me that my drive isn't detected and this is a laptop how can it be disconnected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation