Question

Honor Student
Dreams2Knight
Message 1 of 6 (3,698 Views)

Destructive Recovery

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6409wm Notebook PC.  Somehow, I managed to get a trojan that is apparently impossible to get rid of.  It's known as the Online Protection Tool" trojan.  I have tried everything to remove it. Norton, AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, and Spybot are all unsuccessful.

I wanted to do a destructive recovery but I cannot find this option. I went to All Programs -> Recovery Manager -> Advanced Options (no destructive option here) so I just choose System Recovery. The computer then restarts and open back into Recovery Manager. I then click on Advanced Options again and again there is no destructive recovery option, so I just click on System Recovery again. It then starts the recovery.

After doing all that, the trojan is STILL on my computer. All my files are gone, but the trojan remains. I have been fighting this thing for over a week, and I am so frustrated. Can anyone please help?

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 2 of 6 (3,690 Views)

Re: Destructive Recovery

can you access the recovery by pushing F11 at startup?

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Honor Student
Dreams2Knight
Message 3 of 6 (3,678 Views)

Yes, I can.  I tried that as well.  I still can't find the Destructive Recovery option.  Is there something else I can do?

Intern
Tech_Smurf
Message 4 of 6 (3,670 Views)

From the recovery manager bring up a command prompt and tell it to "format c: /s" Then do the recovery.

However, the regular recovery does the same basic thing. It clears the partition table then reinstalls the system image. If you are getting a virus after that and before you have anything else added to it then you have deeper issues.

Your best bet is to wipe the whole drive from a Linux live boot cd and then run a recovery from Media HP sent you. They usually charge about 30 , 25 , or 15 dollars for the media depending on how fast you want it.

Honor Student
Dreams2Knight
Message 5 of 6 (3,659 Views)

Thank you, I will try that.

I'm not sure why this trojan is being so difficult for me.  Others have had success at removing it with the programs I mentioned earlier.

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 6 of 6 (3,635 Views)

in recovery manager (from the F11 menu) choose adavnced options , then system recovery. that WILL format the hard drive.

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation