Question

Honor Student
Judy2R
Message 1 of 4 (6,252 Views)

Dim screen light

I am using a HP Pavillion zv6000. With the ac cord plugged in, the screen light is very dim. When I unplug the ac cord & rely upon the battery, the screen light is again full brightness. When the ac cord is plugged in to a socket, the power light is howing 'on'.

Does anybody know what is causing this? Do I need to purchase a new ac power cord?

Honor Student
Judy2R
Message 2 of 4 (6,246 Views)

Re: Dim screen light

An addon to my question about a dim screen light:

When I noticed the screen dim problem, I unplugged the power cord and used the computer iwth the battery powering it. The battery went from 100% charged to 68% in a half hour. I turned the computer off, re-attached the power cord to see if the battery would charge up to 100% again. In 45 min. I turned the computer back on, using the battery power only & it was 100% charged. After using the computer for only 1/2 hour again, the charge has gone down to  62%.

I have no idea what is going on!

Student
jsisson01
Message 3 of 4 (6,070 Views)

Backlight settings are usually controlled by the operating system's power management function. When you have the system plugged in, just adjust the brightness to what you would like. Hold the "fn" key  then press "f7(dimmer)" or "f8(brighter)".  Do the same for when you have it unplugged.

The battery charging issue has a few variables concerned. These laptops are power hungry. The average battery life can be anywhere from 1 - 3 hours. This rate changes depending on what exactly you're doing on it and how bright the screen is. So if the screen is at full brightness when you're using the battery, it will drain the battery faster. If you're using a large program, for example photoshop or playing a game, this will also drain the battery more quickly. It's all variable, so the usage may have different affects each time.

PhD Student
Bryan_N
Message 4 of 4 (6,053 Views)

That was a common problem for those series. They basically reversed the proper behavior of the screen brightness.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Look up your exact model number on hp.com and get the latest BIOS

Based on your notebook series, this may be the one

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-43144-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

This version is F.1c

To check your version you can press FN and ESC at the same time, or reboot the PC and press F10 to enter the BIOS screen.

-Bryan
I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation