Question

Top Student
RockyKatz
Message 1 of 11 (61,718 Views)
Accepted Solution

Disable SimplePass

I just purchased a Pavilion dv7-4165dx.  It comes with the SimplePass fingerprint reader.  I am not quite ready to use this feature yet.  How do I disable it so that I don't see it until I am ready to try it. 

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 11 (61,710 Views)

Re: Disable SimplePass

You can disable Validity Sensor in device manager or uninstall HP SimplePass Software and reinstall when you want to....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
RockyKatz
Message 3 of 11 (61,682 Views)

Where do I get the software to reinstall when I am ready to use it.  The new computer did not come with any program disks.  Thanks for you suggestion.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 11 (61,667 Views)

You can either reinstall it from HP Recovery Manager from the 'Software Program Reinstallation " section or you can download it from here ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50001-50500/sp50048.exe

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Student
TimHawkins
Message 5 of 11 (61,315 Views)

It would be nice to be able to disable this feature.  Having only the option to uninstall software in order to disable it seems a bit drastic...   PC programmers seem to think that the world revolves around their specific application -- when will that change?

Honor Student
Yknot
Message 6 of 11 (49,940 Views)

Open Simplepass  goto Setting and uncheck boxes.

Honor Student
merlinandme
Message 7 of 11 (42,889 Views)

When I go to device manager, Validity Sensor does not show up.  I need to disable SimplePass because it constantly crashes in Chrome, and it is a nightmare.

Student
moptop
Message 8 of 11 (41,507 Views)

Couldn't agree more, dreadful piece of software, been nothing but trouble; plus the fingerprint reader has intermittent hardware problems. I had disabled it and all was calm but for some reason today the SimplePass prompt kept coming back (after my Gmail had gone back to prompt for a password), and would not go away however many times I told it not to show me the screen again. The SimplePass manager application doesn't seem to have a UI - or if it does, it won't open, so there is no way to get in and control your data or your settings. When I was using it, I got frequent corruption in the username/password it was saving. Total rubbish.

So I have uninstalled - and that's a scarey pass-time, too - if you tick the tick-box that says all your passwords will be deleted... one assumes that it just means the SimplePass database, but it has been such a pain that I didn't want to take the chance, so I did not tick that. 

Student
Gideonjohn
Message 9 of 11 (41,247 Views)

I could not remove the program. Kept getting message that I was not authorized. Found that the PC was programed for fingerprint access id and the software on Simplepass was tied to that. I entered Device the biometrics and disabled fingerprints, then I could remove the program. Simplepass is junk. It is like getting a big dish of icecream and finding doggie poo in it.

Student
DeVerde
Message 10 of 11 (33,254 Views)

Un checked box. Bio-icon still returns. Can't create Outlook email account.  Don''t want to risk restoring pc as I've lost confidence in the sys. This is my last HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation