Question

Student
flier12
Message 1 of 3 (756 Views)

Disable Touchpad, Windows 7

If I connect a mouse to a USB port, how can I disable the touchpad in windows 7 64 bit?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 3 (746 Views)

Re: Disable Touchpad, Windows 7

Hi,
Please write your notebook product number (p/n), which system are you using and country of purchase.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Tutor
MsPatt
Message 3 of 3 (592 Views)

Re: Disable Touchpad, Windows 7

I didn't have any disable options on my G72 running Windows 7.  I ended up uninstalling, then the disable option showed up.

1. Control Panel

2. Device Manager

3. Mice and other Pointing Devices

4. Right-click on PS/2 compatible mouse

5. Uninstall

Restart machine

6. Control Panel

7. Device Manager

8. Mice and other Pointing Devices

9. Right-click on PS/2 compatible mouse

10. Disable

If you just uninstall, the touchpad starts working after next shutdown, so you need to do the disable too.

After I did this I thought maybe I should try the download new driver thing.  Disaster for me, I couldn't disable and the above didn't work anymore either.  I ended up moving the downloaded driver to my recycle bin before doing the above to prevent the new one from reinstalling every time I rebooted.

Please "Kudos" this post if it helps you out.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation