Don't ever buy an HP laptop! Worst customer experience ever! (5188 Views)
Top Student
jyeung80
Message 1 of 14 (5,188 Views)

Don't ever buy an HP laptop! Worst customer experience ever!

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a bit of my pain with you all to hopefully save you some pain.

I've been struggling with my HP Pavillion laptop for almost a year now. The problem is that I'm getting intermittent BSODs. It happens a lot during gaming, but also happens randomly while surfing the net, working on Word or Excel documents, etc. Anyway, I've sent the laptop back twice. They replaced the HDD twice and reimaged and the same thing still happens, yet they still insist it's a software problem. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that after 2 HDD replacements, that it's some other hardware issue. Anyway, the 2nd time it came back with the wrong operating system. I purchased Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it came back with Home Premium 32 bit. The technician even had the nerve to tell me that the laptop always comes with Home Premium as standard, and that I never had Vista Ultimate, despite what my purchase receipt says.

The HP customer service is among the worst I've ever experienced in my entire life. They wouldn't replace the laptop even though it's within the 12 month warranty period because they refuse to believe it's a hardware error. HP don't tell you this, but they will ONLY replace a faulty laptop within 30 days of purchase. Anything longer than that and it's up to their "discretion" as to whether or not they will replace it! Needless to say, they'll conveniently find ways and excuses not to replace it.

The worst thing is that they don't write down the case notes properly, so there's no record of anything that happened. I've had to explain the same thing to about 5 different people! Because of this, the technician tried to tell me that the HDD was never replaced, even though I have 2 service receipts which indicate otherwise!

I'm going to try to send it back a 3rd time so that I can get Vista Ultimate reinstalled. I've concluded that they will never fix the BSOD problem because they've told me all they can or will do is reimage the HDD and see if the problem still occurs. I have no doubt they're stalling me until my warranty runs out and then they'll try to charge me for their so-called "service". I've literally wasted hours on the phone with them, so I'm going to write this off and buy a new laptop.

My advice to everyone out there is to NEVER buy an HP laptop. If you do, then you'll regret it if you ever have to deal with their helpdesk.

I am a VERY disappointed HP customer and will never purchase any HP product ever again. I've placed this post on every forum I can find. Hopefully, someone, somewhere will learn from my mistake. Feel free to share my story with anyone and everyone.

SSP Student
Student
SSP
Message 2 of 14 (5,152 Views)

Re: Don't ever buy an HP laptop! Worst customer experience ever!

I completely agree with you on the customer service. I admit to not being the most computer savvy but I do know enough to know when something is clearly wrong. I purchased my HP Laptop almost a year ago and I've had to send it to them twice within that year to be repaired. The first incidentI was unable to connect to the internet and found out I was pulling an invalid IP address. I sent it to them and they replaced the entire hard drive. This was back in May, two weeks ago while surfing the net the computer froze up went white then blank. The lights would flash but nothing shows on the screen. Now since it froze then when white and shut off I immediately thought hard drive again. However when I called HP they insisting that its not the harddrive but the mother board. I complained that this was the second time I'm having a problem in less than a year and they should replace the computer. The representative refused and was becoming annoyed because I kept questioning their customer service. At that point I asked to speak with a Manager/Supervisor. She put me on hold for at least 15 minutes and returned tryign to alter her voice when I could clealry tell it was the smae person.

Ofcourse they made it quite clear my warranty would expire on August 25, I asked to extend the warranty and was told I could not because the laptop was not working. Can you imgine. The so called supervisor was rude and down right disgusting and when I made a comment that I should of bouth a Dell she barked at me and said I was free to buy whatever I wanted and if I want a Dell I should go buy one. I thought that was so rude. Well in the end I sent it in and guess what, the scheduled ship out date is Aug 26 a day after the warrany expires even though they have had the computer since the 13th. Go figure.

I'm completely disappointed.

Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 3 of 14 (5,133 Views)

That's just like, your opinion, man.
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 14 (5,128 Views)

The wrong OS installed is HP's fault. And I apoligize for this. Because of the amount of notebooks serviced sometimes the wrong image is put on a replacement drive. HP should send you replacement media for free for this issue to re-image the notebook with what you purchased.No need for a service for this. The majority of notebooks do have Vista Home Premium which is where the confusion is.

As far as a replacement. If you have read the terms and agreements of your warrenty it CLEARLY states that your warrenty is a repair warrenty and NOT a replacement. The quality dept can replace units on a case by case basis. This is rare. You will not get a replacement if you refuse policy with troubleshooting/service. There is no 30 day replacement policy! which is why you were never told this. There IS a 21 day return policy if you buy the unit on hpshopping.com. Other then that it is service only.

Everytime you contact HP it is documented and logged. The odd time the tools are not accessable because of updates being pushed. HP is a 24/7 operation. Your service orders are held seperatly and sometimes it is difficult to obtain the information if the order numbers are not logged in your service ticket which can happen. Normally, every call is logged.

If you run out of warrenty and the Logged issues from where you were in warrenty still exist there is a process to continue to get your issue resolved. There is a policy when it comes to replacing hardware. First you will need to do a factory recovery to see if the issue comes back. After that if the issue persists based on the error you may get a customer replaceable part replaced like a harddrive. IF that still does not resolve the issue then you will need to service it.

If you are concerned about documentation, ask for your service ticket number at the end of each call. it should be given to you anyway!

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Top Student
jyeung80
Message 5 of 14 (5,128 Views)

Please point me to where it says in the terms and conditions that there is no replacement on HP laptops. I asked the helpdesk technician for this and he said the information wasn't publicly available which, to me, sounds outright dishonest. Maybe he was wrong and it is available on the internet. If so, I apologise, but I'd like to see it.

My main gripe is with the helpdesk staff, not so much the product which, with IT equipment, I understand is sometimes luck of the draw. Some examples are:

The helpdesk technician tried for several minutes to convince me that I'd actually purchased Vistsa Home Premium, not Vista Ultimate, despite what I was telling him and despite what my receipt says.

He also tried to convince me that the HDD was NEVER replaced because it wasn't in the case notes. This is also despite me telling him otherwise and despite me having 2 service receipts from the local techs which indicate otherwise.

I'm very concerned that my warranty will expire and HP will try to charge me for this so-called service. The case notes are nowhere near comprehensive enough for this issue to have been tracked properly. In fact, the only notes recorded against my first case indicated that the DVD drive was replaced (which is true - it was faulty). There was no record of the HDD being replaced/reimaged and no record of the BSODs.

In my opinion, HP really need to invest more in their helpdesk staff training. Everyone I've dealt with has been unfriendly, have refused to listen or have lied directly to me. As someone who upgrades my laptop almost every year (I'm in the IT industry), I can say that I'll never buy another HP laptop and will strongly advise all of my friends, family and colleagues against doing so.

Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 6 of 14 (5,124 Views)

jyeung80 wrote:

He also tried to convince me that the HDD was NEVER replaced because it wasn't in the case notes. This is also despite me telling him otherwise and despite me having 2 service receipts from the local techs which indicate otherwise.

local techs are not HP techs.

they are not associated with HP total care and HP will not have their records or notes.

Why do you expect HP to have records from another company?

As far as your warranty goes, you can easily purchased extended warranty on the website, or by calling 1-800-474-6836 and asking to extend your warranty.

As long as you are not out of warranty there is no need for hardware validation

Top Student
jyeung80
Message 7 of 14 (5,117 Views)

Local techs are contracted by HP to do their repairs. It's reasonable to expect that there would be some communication between these techs and the helpdesk staff. Otherwise, how would the case history be accurately logged? (Although, HP clearly do not do this!)

Besides, helpdesk were aware that the DVD drive was replaced in the first case. Isn't it fair to expect they would also know the HDD had been replaced?

The other thing is, no matter how many times I told the helpdesk guy that the HDD had been replaced, he refused to believe me! Even when I said I had proof (i.e. 2 service receipts)! He kept saying the technician I spoke to must've made a mistake! That is VERY poor customer service!

Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 8 of 14 (5,101 Views)

Sounds like you talked to a **bleep**ty technician.

Call back, try again.  HP has a lot of good tech support staff working for them.

Intern
cmetrav
Message 9 of 14 (4,924 Views)

I agree 100% My laptop burned my leg and I have been playing phone tag ever since!! Feel free to read about it in the post MY LAPTOP BURNT MY LEG you will be amazed if you think what you are going through is bad read that one!
Student
dennyg
Message 10 of 14 (4,902 Views)

so far i agree with your experience at tech support. They always want me to send it to them, 3 weeks later i get it back and it still isn;t working as it should.  recently some ram memory was taken out to disable my notebook by a disgruntled exroomie.  they weren;t able to even tell me what should have been in that compartment after they asked me to open it, take out a card and put it back.  the ram was taken but they just wanted me to send it to them..I bought a new ram card at best buy after checking my system online there, and within 5 minutes of replacing it was up and running once again.  there was a significant language barrier issue when speaking to the tech center and a definite refusal to listen to my concerns. 

jyeung80 wrote:

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a bit of my pain with you all to hopefully save you some pain.

I've been struggling with my HP Pavillion laptop for almost a year now. The problem is that I'm getting intermittent BSODs. It happens a lot during gaming, but also happens randomly while surfing the net, working on Word or Excel documents, etc. Anyway, I've sent the laptop back twice. They replaced the HDD twice and reimaged and the same thing still happens, yet they still insist it's a software problem. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that after 2 HDD replacements, that it's some other hardware issue. Anyway, the 2nd time it came back with the wrong operating system. I purchased Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it came back with Home Premium 32 bit. The technician even had the nerve to tell me that the laptop always comes with Home Premium as standard, and that I never had Vista Ultimate, despite what my purchase receipt says.

The HP customer service is among the worst I've ever experienced in my entire life. They wouldn't replace the laptop even though it's within the 12 month warranty period because they refuse to believe it's a hardware error. HP don't tell you this, but they will ONLY replace a faulty laptop within 30 days of purchase. Anything longer than that and it's up to their "discretion" as to whether or not they will replace it! Needless to say, they'll conveniently find ways and excuses not to replace it.

The worst thing is that they don't write down the case notes properly, so there's no record of anything that happened. I've had to explain the same thing to about 5 different people! Because of this, the technician tried to tell me that the HDD was never replaced, even though I have 2 service receipts which indicate otherwise!

I'm going to try to send it back a 3rd time so that I can get Vista Ultimate reinstalled. I've concluded that they will never fix the BSOD problem because they've told me all they can or will do is reimage the HDD and see if the problem still occurs. I have no doubt they're stalling me until my warranty runs out and then they'll try to charge me for their so-called "service". I've literally wasted hours on the phone with them, so I'm going to write this off and buy a new laptop.

My advice to everyone out there is to NEVER buy an HP laptop. If you do, then you'll regret it if you ever have to deal with their helpdesk.

I am a VERY disappointed HP customer and will never purchase any HP product ever again. I've placed this post on every forum I can find. Hopefully, someone, somewhere will learn from my mistake. Feel free to share my story with anyone and everyone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation