Question

Top Student
n6pcd
Message 1 of 4 (434 Views)

Dv6000 WiFi Enable

Hi all;

I recently acquired a Pavilion dv6000 laptop with no apparent working Wifi. It has the WiFi enable switch and associated LED that lights orange. Internal inspection reveals that the WiFi mini PCI card is installed and attached to the antenna wires. Odd thing is, there is no WiFi setting in the BIOS setup. Is this something that HP does on a regular basis? If so, does anyone know of a BIOS upgrade that will recognise and show the WiFi in the setup? I have the latest version of the standard BIOS & chipset installed.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated! :smileyvery-happy:

pc

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (430 Views)

Re: Dv6000 WiFi Enable

Hi:

If you have installed the latest BIOS update for the PC, that is all there is.

There should be a setting in the BIOS to enable/disable the wifi.

Do you have the HP Wireless Assistant software installed?

If not, I recommend you install it because if the card was turned off in the Wireless Assistant, it cannot be turned back on until the W/A software is reinstalled--even if the card shows up as present and enabled in the BIOS.

Paul

Top Student
n6pcd
Message 3 of 4 (427 Views)

Paul,

Thanks for the quick answer! I indeed do not have the WiFi Assistant installed, so I'll look for it on the driver support page & install it. I'll report back when the install is completed and tested.

I double checked the BIOS in case I missed something, but there is no setting in it for a wireless device or mini PCI device.

Thanks again for the help! :smileyhappy:

Ken

Top Student
n6pcd
Message 4 of 4 (423 Views)

Downloaded & installed the WiF Assistant v3. Attempted to run it from it's icon in Device Manager. No dice. Didn't run at all. I'm beginning to believe that this particular PC is some kind of budget model. It has an AMD Turion processor.

I'll keep searching for further info on this issue. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use the wireless N USB mini-dongle I purchased from Monoprice.com. Wonderful product that works well, & was inexpensive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation