Question

Top Student
udara12
Message 1 of 5 (163 Views)
Accepted Solution

ENVY -J111el perfectly shut down yet still on

ENVY -J111el  windows 8.1 64bit

it shut downs perfectly but after i start and check the task manager for how long its been up, it shows that my laptop not been shut down.

after shuting down if i connect my external hard drive it works!

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 5 (142 Views)

Re: ENVY -J111el perfectly shut down yet still on

Hi udara12,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that when you shutdown it powers off as it should, but upon restart, if you check Task Manager, it shows it has been on the entire amount of time. If you connect your external drive and power off, when you restart the Task Manager shows it was powered off.

With Windows 8 you can change what happens when you press the power button.  Are you shutting down from the power button or are you shutting down from the Windows screen?

Here is a Windows  document on  Change what happens when you press the power button on your computer. Here is another document on Managing Power Options (Windows 8).  

I hope this has helped.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
udara12
Message 3 of 5 (128 Views)

thank you very much for helping me.I cheked the document Managing Power Options (Windows 8) and i performed a full shut down.it is ok.Task Manager shows it was powered off.first problem solved.

"If you connect your external drive and power off, when you restart the Task Manager shows it was powered off."

you have misunderstood my problem.after shuting down if i connect a device, only the device starts working.for example my external drive,cooling pad. just the devices i connect.not the computer.computer stays shut.no matter i shut down while devices connected, the out come is same.my problem is why after powered off computer giving power to the devices.is it normal?

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 4 of 5 (120 Views)

Hiudara12,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad you were able to resolve the first issue!

Now let's see if we can get the second one.  I suggest you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Chipset driver. Here is a link to the software and driver page for you computer. HP ENVY 17-j111el Notebook PC Drivers. If that did not resolve it would you try either turning Legacy devices on or off, depending on what it is set at now. Here is a document to assist you with that.Secure Boot (Windows 8). Although the link is for secure boot, if you read the document it provides the information for the legacy devices also.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
udara12
Message 5 of 5 (109 Views)

Hi 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation