Question

Student
miss_julia
Message 1 of 16 (65,721 Views)

Elite Book 8460p - touch pad/ mouse pad/wheel pad/track pad help

Hello All,

I have a new laptop.  It is great.  However yesterday while typing a document, I somehow turned "off" my ability to use the touch pad.  Now the only thing that works is the button in the middle of the keys.  What did I do wrong and how do I turn it back on? 

Help!

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 16 (65,717 Views)

Re: Elite Book 8460p - touch pad/ mouse pad/wheel pad/track pad help

[ Edited ]

While typing the document you might have turned off the touchpad using the off button on the touchpad. Refer the picture below that will point of #3 which toggles the on/off of touchpad.

capture.jpg

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Honor Student
GreigGreenwald
Message 3 of 16 (65,698 Views)

The on/off switch on my 8460p touchpad does not seem to work. The touchpad works fine but the on/off light remains off and the touchpad remains operational no matter how many times I tap it.

Do you have any recommended for how to fix it?

Thanks!

Dean
Vidya
Message 4 of 16 (65,696 Views)

please try installing the  latest touchpad driver from the following weblink:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54906.exe

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Honor Student
GreigGreenwald
Message 5 of 16 (65,693 Views)

Thank you for the reply. That was the same version of the driver as was previously installed. I reinstalled the driver, rebooted the machine and still cannot get the touchpad light to come on and disabling the touchpad.

Is it possible the button in the touchpad is broken? Does Tap-to-Click need to be enabled for it to work? Is it a single tap, double tap, or something else that is supposed to toggle its state?

Thanks.

Student
ddotolo
Message 6 of 16 (65,190 Views)

This worked like a charm and made me look like the office genius!!  Thanks so much!!

Student
rajasigma
Message 7 of 16 (57,496 Views)

Hi,

I am using HP EliteBoook 8460p latop, I am facing problem with left tuch pad problem...

while starting button will work for some time ~5 to 10 min then it wouldn't work.

Please resolve this issue.

Regards,

Raj

Honor Student
Rockdollar
Message 8 of 16 (52,011 Views)

Worked :-)

Student
kfleming65
Message 9 of 16 (51,790 Views)

In order for any of the function keys to work, you MUST install the Hotkey support software onto the laptop. Once you've installed it, your function keys (dim, volume, touchpad, etc.) will work properly. Not sure why this is not a driver install as it is on most other laptops.
Student
DrG52
Message 10 of 16 (46,231 Views)

Thanks for the tip!

It worked perfectly on my wife's work Elitebook

and now she thinks I'm a freakin' genius! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation