Question

Tutor
saliva134
Message 1 of 16 (5,665 Views)

Envy 14 Whining Noise

I have a HP Envy 14-1009tx laptop that I recently bought from Singapore 3-4 days ago. I experience this problem when plugging in a USB device with the CPU idle. When the USB device is plugged in, the computer makes a high pitch noise from the back corner of the keyboard near the screen. Its a sort of high pitch morse code sound you get from one of the hearing tests or when you slap your hand against your ear. This gets very annoying when I am trying to work in a quiet room.

So I brought the computer to the Korean HP support service centre (I travel a lot) to see if they can do anything to fix the problem. With a lot of difficulty communicating the problem, they ended up just returning it the next day saying they can't do anything about it. Now... I am left with the same problem that I have before.

Does anyone else here experience this CPU whine and if so did they manage to get it fixed by HP?

It's a perfect laptop but its this problem that's making me think otherwise of buying another HP in the future.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 16 (5,654 Views)

Re: Envy 14 Whining Noise

Thanks for the detail description of the issue...I will get back to you on this...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
RyanS
Message 3 of 16 (5,633 Views)

I have this exact same problem. It's a very high pitched noise coming from the top left corner whenever I have a USB plugged in. It's not very noticable when there is other noise like music in the background, but in a fairly silent room you can clearly hear the high pitch whine and it's unbelievably annoying.

I'd thought about returning this laptop for a replacement because of this and a few other problems, but if it's occuring for everybody, I'd rather just return it permanently and get my money back.

Tutor
saliva134
Message 4 of 16 (5,629 Views)

Has there been any new updates Cyclops? It seems I'm not alone in this issue as there are a great number of users on the interwebs that have the same if not similar problems as myself.

Google Envy 14 CPU Whine and there's an ongoing thread about the problem.

Tutor
saliva134
Message 5 of 16 (5,598 Views)

I may have found the solution. Thanks to Notebook Review.

Notebook Review Mic Fix

Basically by right clicking on the speaker on the task bar and choosing Recording Devices. Click on the ITA Microphone Array Properties and check Listen to this device on the Listen tab. By this point my whine stopped, however the guide goes on to say to mute the mic on the levels tab. I muted mine just to make sure.

Though peoples problems differ on a case to case basis. The other solution is to turn Bluetooth Off. This didn't work for me, but others might be lucky/unlucky with this solution.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 6 of 16 (5,596 Views)

Yup, i have seen that.. Could you ran the unit for few days, let know if it resolve the issue...And thanks for pointing me to the other posts as well...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Tutor
saliva134
Message 7 of 16 (5,576 Views)

I'll give it a shot, and let you know. However to me this still falls under a manufacturers fault. So at some point in the future when I am in an English speaking country I'll go to the HP Service Centre and expect better service.

Student
jfk33
Message 8 of 16 (5,500 Views)

I have nothing to contribute, other than reporting I have that problem too, and that I've been following the thread on the notebookreview forum.

For me the sound -- which I'd describe as an electric "screeching", sorta piezoelectric sounding -- occurs when I'm off A/C power, usually at low CPU loads, and only happens intermittently and seemingly randomly.  It's loud enough that if I'm in a quiet room with nothing else going on, like reading a book or take it to the library, it's easily audible and extreeeemely annoying.

Before I send my computer back I'm waiting for some sort of definitive answer as to what's going on.  I don't want an HP "technician" "fixing" my computer for 2 weeks then getting it back with the same problem and worse for wear, as I've read some people have had happen to them.

I hope this is fixed soon.  Otherwise, the envy 14 is a great computer.

Top Student
RyanS
Message 9 of 16 (5,450 Views)

I'd just like t add that the fix saliva134 suggested did not work for me. I still get that whine every time I have anything plugged into the USB port. I plan on RMAing mine soon, because my 21 days is almost up, unless somebody finds a fix that will work for mine.

Student
mwmcgarry
Message 10 of 16 (5,144 Views)

I am also an HP employee.  Just received my Envy 14 i7-720 yesterday.  The whie without any USB device plugged in is bad enough.  The whine  with a USB mouse plugged in is completely unacceptable and literally gave me a headache.  I wil be returning this computer based on all the online chatter regarding this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation