Question

Honor Student
DrTune
Message 1 of 2 (224 Views)

Envy 17 3290NR - Only has USB 3.0 ports, need 'legacy usb' option in bios!

Hi,

Some Envy 17's only have USB 3.0 ports.  (Actually they have USB 2 as well but only internally)

This works fine in Windows 7 (with preloaded drivers) but is a BIG problem when using VMWare (which simply doesn't show host-connected USB 2 devices at all! - nothing works; for various reasons it's hard to say this is VMWare's fault) also when booting any legacy OS (e.g. Linux Live CD's, usb sticks,. etc - none of the USB ports work unless you're running a spanking new linux kernel+drivers off the cd; mostly this isn't the case)

This is a bit of a disaster for me; it's to do with support for the xHCI USB 3.0 interface in the southbridge; it's a wonderful thing in itself but if your OS doesn't support it you have NO USB CONNECTIVITY on your lappy!  Dammit!

Ok so to get to the point; there is a fix and it's cheap and easy:

Googling reveals that some mobo's with ivy bridge chipset offer a "legacy usb" mode which switches the intel xHCI interface into legaby usb mode, and this makes the ports look like USB 2 to the OS, etc etc.   This is a BIOS setting, and... my laptop doesn't have that option.

PLEASE, ON THE NEXT REV OF THE ENVY 17 3290NR BIOS, ENABLE THE 'LEGACY USB' OPTION - I NEED IT !

As far as I can tell this is a simple config option when building the bios, please please please give us this option.  Anyone running any legacy OS on this laptop (either as a VM or booted) is screwed unless we can run the ports in backwards-compatible mode.

Thanks, otherwise this lappy is a beatiful, fast, shiny.. doorstop for me.

Top Student
Stonesgro
Message 2 of 2 (64 Views)

Re: Envy 17 3290NR - Only has USB 3.0 ports, need 'legacy usb' option in bios!

Did you ever resolve your issue or is you back door securely in place?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation