Question

Honor Student
kkkmy06
Message 1 of 7 (1,538 Views)

Fan running non stop

I have a 17 inch pavilion dv 9000, the fan will not stop running and seems to very hot if anyone has had this problem

please let me know and what did you do?

Thank you very much.

Karen

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 2 of 7 (1,534 Views)

Re: Fan running non stop

Hi

You can use software like speedfan to get the temperature reading for your system. Please post them so that we can help you the right way.

anyways if your system is older than 6 months then you might need to clean it..you can use a compressed can of air.

Please tell us how old is the system, os u r using how and when did you notice the problem.

Honor Student
kkkmy06
Message 3 of 7 (1,525 Views)

Thanks so much for such a quick response; My hp is 3 years old  running XP Pro the problem started around 3 months ago  have also cleaned it very well. I am going to try the speedfan and let you know thanks so much for your help.

Honor Student
kkkmy06
Message 4 of 7 (1,524 Views)

Hi again I have tried the speedfan can you tell me what the numbers mean HD - 43C, Temp 1 55C, Core 79C,Core -86C,

Ambient - OC. That's what showed up not sure what it means. I have also updated the BIOS that seem to help a little but still having the problem. Again thanks for your help.

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 5 of 7 (1,517 Views)

Hi

These reading seem to be a bit confusing but if 79 is the core temperature then its too hot...

You can also use CPUID Hardware Monitor to get the system temperature..please check and verify.

If you are using Intel cpu then this core temperature it toooooo hot for it but if you are using AMD then it a normal thing for amd to get this hot but you should try to cool it.

As your system is 3yrs old it might need thorough cleaning by opening the notebooks covers and taking off the fan and heat sink.

One other thing that comes to my mind is you might need to replace thermal pad / thermal glue, sometimes these thermal pads and glue due to heat and excessive use get burnt or vaporised and in that case you need to replace it. Its not a big deal to replace these things and would take around 30 mins to change.

I suggest you take some professional advise before doing anything to your system. 

Honor Student
kkkmy06
Message 6 of 7 (1,516 Views)

Hello,

You have been so helpful I did the speedfan and I can't believe it what a difference it has made I have also cleaned all of it.

How do I tell if I have AMD ? verses Intel CPU. I am not very good with knowing the tech stuff that's for sure.

I am also going to take your advice as well and take my laptop to a professional I just love this laptop and this is the first time I have had any kind of problem.

your right I don't want to take a chance and mess up something. I will let you know how it all works out.

Thank you so much for being so kind.

Have a good rest of the day !

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 7 of 7 (1,511 Views)

Hi

Its very easy to know the processor u r using.

Fox XP you can just right click on my compute -> open properties , under general tab look for computer

there its given intel or amd and total ram u r using.

If you are facing problem with that then you can just download and install CPU-Z software for free and it will tell you almost everything about your system's hardware.

If you use your notebook mostly at one place then i suggest use a cooling pad....frankly saying i dont use it but i am recommending you because i dont use my system too much so i dont need it...but for longer life you might think about investing in a cooling pad.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation