Fingerprint Login on dv7 doesn't work - "Windows did not find any biometric devices" Win7 64 (4747 Views)
Student
tx-nick
Message 1 of 2 (4,747 Views)

Fingerprint Login on dv7 doesn't work - "Windows did not find any biometric devices" Win7 64

After a clean Win7 (64) install on my dv7-4069wm, I can't use the fingerprint reader.  I installed the latest driver (sp49518) from the HP support web site, and in device manager there is a device listed under "biometric devices," which is described as the "validity sensor" (specifically, the VFS301).  However, when I go to control panel/hardware and sound/biometric devices, I see a message that "windows did not find any biometric devices.  you might need to attach your device or install device drivers."  HP's phone support says "re-image your machine," which is absolutely the laziest response anyone could ever offer and is completely unacceptable given that I've spent HOURS installing software and setting preferences, not to mention the time it took just to load all of HP's SPxxxxx files for device support.

SO...what am I missing here?  Is there another driver or application required to support the hardware?  If one portion of control panel (device manager) sees the device and has it activated, why doesn't the biometric devices portion of control panel recognize the fingerprint reader???

Please help.  It's not stopping me from using the machine obviously, but it's annoying to have a device that I can't use!!  

Thanks in advance...

Nick Sanders
Network Engineer
HP Pavilion dv7-4069wm
Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 2 (4,731 Views)

Re: Fingerprint Login on dv7 doesn't work - "Windows did not find any biometric devices" W

Here is the latest Fingerprint Driver that adds Microsoft Windows Biometric Framework (WBF) support.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation