Fingerprint reader reinstall (988 Views)
Honor Student
Mike_Coker
Message 1 of 5 (988 Views)

Fingerprint reader reinstall

I recently purchased the 8460p elitebook from a third party who had removed the drivers for the fingerprint reader. I reinstalled the drivers but for the life of me, cannot figure out how to set it up to recognize my print. Is there a way to do so without reseting the computer to an earlier time?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (978 Views)

Re: Fingerprint reader reinstall

Hi, Mike:

You also need to install the HP Protect Tools security manager software in order to register a fingerprint.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

I also recommend you read this guide on using the security software.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02753983/c02753983.pdf

Paul

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 3 of 5 (977 Views)

Hi Mike,

I am not as familar with HP Protect Tools software as I am the other versions of the fingerprint softwares and drivers.  Nonetheless, I will try and help.  Bear with me, please.

If the person removed the drivers, it is possible that he as well removed the software.  It is possible that the software that is on the system is now out of date since you have updated the drivers.  Drivers and software must match; it is not often that there is a disparity, but when one shows up things do stop working as they should.

I do not have your exact model nor your Operating System so I grabbed what I thought was a reasonable compromise for my search.  You may have to adjust your parameters, that is, back up to a previous page and then reselect to get down to the correct webpage for your system and OS.

Below find the webpage for an Elitebook 8460p Notebook, Windows 7 - Software and Drivers downloads page.  Note the Security software selection.  You are right in having installed the Drivers First.  Now check to be sure you also have all the Security Software packages you need to go with the fingerprinter drivers.  Just download, double-Click and install what you are missing.

Driver controls the hardware (fingerprinter)

Software controls the password database (and interaction with the user)

Next, take a look at this document on HP Protect Tools Security:

HP ProtectTools – Getting Started

What you seek may be right at the beginning of the help file (Getting Started with the Setup Wizard).  Apparently there is a Wizard that one can use; if you don't need that, then there is a tab in the setup somewhere one uses for Enrollment.

=========================================================================

Here are the other two main manuals for your continuing enjoyment.  Smiling.  One can never have enough information when it comes to a new computer.  In particular, the Service Guide will be helpful if you ever want to take apart your notebook to upgrade it or repair any little thing that needs a fix.

HP EliteBook 8460p Notebook PC – Getting Started

HP EliteBook 8460p Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution if I provided the fix for your problem.  Thanks!

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
consists
Message 4 of 5 (755 Views)

HP dv7 Fingerprint reader reinstall driver,s i want 

Professor
npw05001
Message 5 of 5 (753 Views)

Hello consists,

I see that you are having problems with the fingerprint reader on your HP computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the full model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation