Question

Honor Student
Sawyer82
Message 1 of 7 (10,826 Views)

Full System Restore on Compaq V5000, please help!

I want to do a full system restore on my V5000, back to scratch, right out of the box. I have backed up all my files on an external drive and I am ready to start over completely. The only options I can find are system recovery programs that take me back to a certain time (only as far back as a few months), and other similar options. There is a system restore program, but all that seems to do is restart Windows and nothing else.

I am getting really frustrated and just want to start over with this instead of having to buy a new laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 2 of 7 (10,818 Views)

Re: Full System Restore on Compaq V5000, please help!

operating system?
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 3 of 7 (10,817 Views)

[ Edited ]

depending on the year that the notebook was made, there will be a recovery partition on the notebook so you can do a factory recovery with a few button pushes. You can verify this if the notebook starts. Click start then My computer or computer depending if the operating system is vista or xp. The

partition will be labled D : (Recovery). If it is XP, you will restart the notebook and keep tapping Function 11 (F11). be warned. after you click OK it will start the recovery process. Vista is similar. F11 on boot. you will enter the recovery manager. click ok. It will ask to do a system restore, click NO to that. it will ask if you want to do a system recovery. click yes to that. It will ask if you want to back up data. assuming you backed it up manually because you want to do a recovery select NO to that. Click next and it will start the recovery process. The process takes about 45 mins and is 95% automated. your notebook will restart numerous times. it will ask you for your language settings and what you wish to name the notebook.

Ok, if you do not have the recovery partition you will need to use the discs that came with the notebook. If you lost or misplaced them, call HP and you will need to pay the shipping only. it starts at 14.95+tax for ground and goes up to 26.95 for overnight. the discs can take up to 2 hours because the transfer rate from media to harddrive is slower.

hope this helps

Message Edited by Gangles on 08-12-2009 08:36 PM
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
Sawyer82
Message 4 of 7 (10,788 Views)

Thanks for your help. I tried pressing F11, but it took me to the good old blue screen of death saying something to the tune of "Windows had to shut down" and that I should run some hard drive diagnostics.

Does this mean my computer is beyond repair?

By the way, I have XP.

Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 5 of 7 (10,748 Views)

No, it just means that you'll need to run a recovery from discs (which you can purchase online or from tech support) after running a BIOS hdd test to make sure it's okay.

To run that test boot into BIOS using F10 on startup, then get to the "diagnostics" tab and run a primary hard disk self test.

Honor Student
Sawyer82
Message 6 of 7 (10,742 Views)

Actually, I found the problem with the lack of speed. 4 versions of Norton, 7 Java versions, and Trend Micro messing stuff up.

All fixed. Thanks though!

Student
DTR963
Message 7 of 7 (3,100 Views)

i am trying to find a system restore disk but the hp said that they dont carry them anymore .because it is a older model.where can i get the disks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation