G60-549DX - Power Issues - Have to re seat battery (7213 Views)
Top Student
Heweydewey
Message 1 of 22 (7,213 Views)

G60-549DX - Power Issues - Have to re seat battery

Hi,

I recently purchased an HP G60-549DX and every now and then the laptop wil not power on, even if I plug in the charger. The only thing that seems to fix it it is taking out the battery and placing it back in, then it works fine again. It doen's happen all the time but it's happened a few times already and I just got the laptop about two weeks ago.

I called tech support yesterday and was told there basically wasn't any known issues with this model and that I should do a hard reset to remove any static charges. I did do that but it didn't really help.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Could it be the just the battery or is it symptoms of something bigger?

Thanks in advance.

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 22 (7,233 Views)

Re: G60-549DX - Power Issues - Have to re seat battery

Try performing a BIOS update which is available from the following weblink:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45123.exe

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Heweydewey
Message 3 of 22 (7,207 Views)

Thanks for the response. Is there a newer version of the updater? When I ran iit, it said that my version was 9.53 and the updater was 9.52 A.
Top Student
Heweydewey
Message 4 of 22 (7,149 Views)

Could the problem be from a bad battery? I just got this laptop in November, but the battery doens't really hold a charge for that long...maybe about 1 1/2 hours now.
Intern
gregk
Message 5 of 22 (7,051 Views)

This is a great laptop -  I have two of them in the family - but the battery is very average. Remove battery completely and see if it happens again.

Here is a link:   http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-26984-laptop-will-not-turn-on

As your laptop is under warranty,  you are fully covered, so no worries.

Top Student
Heweydewey
Message 6 of 22 (7,043 Views)

I agree, this is a great laptop. No other issues except for this one.

Everytime it's happened, I've been removing the battery and putting it back in. It fixes the problem. Just wondering why it keeps happening.

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 7 of 22 (7,042 Views)

has to do how windows handles sleep mode/hibernation.

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Top Student
Heweydewey
Message 8 of 22 (6,990 Views)

Do you know if there is a way to correct it?

Student
janarchy
Message 9 of 22 (6,825 Views)

If it makes you feel any better, I just had the exact same thing happen to me tonight. I've only had my laptop a month and have barely used it in that time, but it was fine. Tonight, when I tried to turn it on...nothing. Even when the charger was plugged in. I took the battery out and reinstalled it and no change. I was finally able to start it when I had the charger plugged in and took the battery out. When I put the battery back in, it had 87% power in it. This is unacceptable that no one seems to know there is an issue here.

Student
dewboy
Message 10 of 22 (6,333 Views)

I bought my HP G60-549DX in the last week of nov. and iv'e had to pull the battery at least four times since then. I dont know if it is sleep/ hibernation problem. I thought it was that, butt I just tried to turn my HP G60-549DX laptop on knowing I powered it down last night and I had to pull the battery out for 10-15 sec for it to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation