Question

Top Student
roc218
Message 1 of 5 (268 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 15 r-031tu notebook not recognizing AC when on, but battery charges when off

Hi,

I bought this HP 15 r-031tu notebook a month ago and I am experiencing some very strange power issues:

1. AC plugged in, with battery - battery is charging properly when laptop is off (LED: solid orange light), but does not recognize AC when laptop is on (LED: solid white light). The status icon just shows remaining battery as if the AC is not even there (i.e. not the "plugged in, not charging" case);

2. AC plugged in, no battery - laptop does not power up;

3. AC unplugged, with battery - laptop runs properly on battery (no light).

Also, whenever I plug in the AC with the laptop running on battery, the screen flashes and the AC icon changes to "charging" for 1 second, and then it returns to battery mode again.

I have tried a lot of solutions found on the forum including update BIOS, hard shut down, using other adaptors etc but none of these solutions work.

Before I take this laptop to the HP service center is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (260 Views)

Re: HP 15 r-031tu notebook not recognizing AC when on, but battery charges when off

[ Edited ]

Invoke  the Device Manager.

Uninstall the Microsoft AC adapter device and then right click any device and select scan for hardware  changes.

Do the very same thing with the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and Microsoft Composite Battery devices. 

I have used this trick since Windows Vista.

battery2.PNG

Battery1.PNG

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
roc218
Message 3 of 5 (236 Views)

Re: HP 15 r-031tu notebook not recognizing AC when on, but battery charges when off

Thanks for the quick reply! I followed your instructions but still no luck. I do not have the microsoft composite battery thingy in device manager though. Is there anything else that I can still do or could this be caused by a faulty motherboard? :smileysad:

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (219 Views)

[ Edited ]

This could indeed  be caused by a faulty systemboard or a bad battery.

Locate your  USB recovery flashdrive and perform a Windows 8 Refresh.  This is the best means of ensuring that this is not an operating system issue.

Save you data externally first! All partitions, programs  and data will be deleted and then freshly created. Follow the instructions on the following HP support document, beginning at the section labelled Restoring the computer from a system image in Windows 8http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03544793&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=e...

If after the Refresh, the issue is not resolved then It will time for you to contact HP for warranty service.

Your notebook is behaving like a desktop instead of a notebook.

Let the service representative you are in contact with know that you were at the forum about the issue.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
roc218
Message 5 of 5 (173 Views)

Tried everything but didn't work, so I took the laptop to the service center and have it fixed. The answer:

Issue was caused by some dirty stuff inside the power jack! They cleaned it up for me and now the laptop is charging perfectly. Kudos for effort tho!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation