HP 2000-363NR does not boot. Blink Codes wanted (1612 Views)
Honor Student
gatomontes2010
Message 1 of 20 (1,612 Views)

HP 2000-363NR does not boot. Blink Codes wanted

Hello:

A client brought a HP 2000-363nr notebook. It lights up, screen stays black, fan runs. Caps Lock blinks 6 times, the fan accelerates and it blinks another 7 times. Then turns off, repeating the cycle a couple of times before really turning off.

I have performed the hard reset, with everything disconnected.

Needless to say, I've searched for the specific blink codes, finding nothing useful. 

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 20 (1,605 Views)

Re: HP 2000-363NR does not boot. Blink Codes wanted

Hi,

Check the link below:

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
gatomontes2010
Message 3 of 20 (1,602 Views)

Done it already. I don't understand. Is it 13 blinks, or 6 and 7 as I described? Does a BIOS failure mean I have to replace the chip, or prefrerably the entire board?
If it is a BiOS failure, can a virus mess up the BIOS in such a way?
What are the odds of a 3 month old pc running into this kind of disgrace?

ThaNk you. I really appreciate your concern
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 20 (1,601 Views)

Hi,
Please contact with HP. You've got warranty on this notebook and this is right time to use it. How to do it?
Check the link below and choose your country:
Contact HP Worldwide

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Tutor
ntat
Message 5 of 20 (452 Views)

I have same problem, but this laptop is out of warrantee, is it covered by HP ? sound like very common symtoms

I have a HP 2000-363NR which boots with a blank screen and Cap Locks blink 13 times, then turned off completely

Tutor
cglrcng
Message 6 of 20 (430 Views)

Try this....Do the hard start listed. Battery out,  A/C Adapter not connected....Press power button and hold for 15-20 seconds.

Connect the A/C Adapter (but, leave  battery out), press power button, check for blink codes (near power adapter socket, CAPS LOCK, and NUM LOCK), write down beep codes. Hold down power button until unit is off...Then press power button and press esc key...Unit may start up. If so, shut down after booting and re-install battery.

Good Luck!

Tutor
ntat
Message 7 of 20 (426 Views)

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
Thanks for replying, I tried and did not work
Spoiler
Below is the video I just upload, I think HP should consider this as their defects since I've seen lots of users have same symtoms as mine
Spoiler
Spoiler
The LED on the Caps Lock flashing exact 13 times every time I reboot the laptop then the power turned off. 
Spoiler
Please help HP !
Tutor
ntat
Message 8 of 20 (421 Views)

Spoiler
Thanks for replying, I tried and did not work
Spoiler
Below is the video I just upload, I think HP should consider this as their defects since I've seen lots of users have same symtoms as mine
Spoiler
Spoiler
The LED on the Caps Lock flashing exact 13 times every time I reboot the laptop then the power turned off. 
Spoiler
Please help HP !
Tutor
cglrcng
Message 9 of 20 (405 Views)

Hey "Top Student",

I just reviewed your video on YouTube, and my expert opinion (I fix these things professionall for a living), is that is, not 13 blinks total...It is 1 single CAPS LOCK light blink, repeatedly done 13 times total (there is a delay there between those single blinks). Which denotes CPU issues (could be that there is no heat compound on the CPU, simple overheating issues caused by simple dust build up...Or a complete failure of the CPU...look for heating issues firstly as the HP 2000 series are famous for them through dust, simply a buildup inside or blocking of the fan intake on the bottom of the notebook and as soon as the unit heats up it goes into a failure mode from heating).

I would try either simply blowing out the dust, or complete disassembly of the notebook and a hearty and usually very necessary internal notebook cleaning....Remember to remove the fan and check for a heavy layer of dust, etc. (looks like a felt pad....but is actually dust, hair, and fiber buildup between the fan and the heatsink air outlet), and also replacing the heat sink to CPU heat compound w/ arctic silver compound, instead of the pads used OEM, and adding a  copper shim on both the CPU to heatsink, and the Vid chip to heatsink, if fully disassembled...Those added copper shims (see many YouTube vids, and purchase them on E-Bay easily & cheaply), helps stop the dreaded black screening Vid chip problems seen in many notebooks today from overheating issues. 

If you choose either way to cure your overheating issues (blowing out w/ compressed air or complete disassembly cleaning, see that link below), remember to then shut the unit off, remove the battery, disconnect the A/C Adapter (Press the power button for 15~20 seconds to hard reset), then attach the A/C Adapter Only (battery still out), turn the unit on via the power button and IMMEDIATELY PRESS the Esc (Escape) key and hold it down until the unit video is seen and OS booting begins, and quickly release Esc key then.

Later replace the battery and notice the charging state begin again properly. Charge battery to 100% before removing A/C adapter and using unconnected to A/C current.

Good Luck!

The beep codes can be see at: (and there is no beep or flashing light code as 13...Yours is 1=CPU). Just repeated 13 different X)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

If unit is out of warranty and you do not feel comfortable w/ disassembly and cleaning yourself, I am avail. and very reasonable for service.

cglrcng

Tutor
cglrcng
Message 10 of 20 (404 Views)

Sry, that posting was for "ntat" who is listed as a Top Student here.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation