Question

Student
jucfel
Message 1 of 2 (2,290 Views)

HP BIOS update freezing my Pavilion g7

[ Edited ]

I have a Pavillion g7 laptop and I've only had it for 2 months. Today the HP Support Assistant  displayed notices about updating BIOS. So I let it start downloading and installing the BIOS updates. After restarting, it started going through the HP BIOS update process, it froze with a blank screen for about 2 hours with the power cord connected the whole time and no apparent progress.

A bad burn smell made me realize that the laptop was seriously overheated, so I took the battery out and it was then when I realized a burn mark and that a portion of the bottom left side where the fan is located melted. I started it again and it turned on OK so far, however I would like to know:

• the consequences of why this BIOS update caused this freezing and overheating problem
  • How do I know the BIOS update was installed correctly (if it did at all)
  • how can I make sure that the overheating, burn mark, and melted plastic did not cause any serious internal damage to my g7? Can I run a diagnosis test?
  • my g7 still runs under warranty, what would it cover under such circumstances if any serious internal damage?

Any suggestions?   

Intern
Magnum_pi
Message 2 of 2 (2,215 Views)

Re: HP BIOS update freezing my Pavilion g7

Hi jucfel,

Please get in contact with the customer support. It's better to have it checked by a technician, especially when the chassis is melted (which is in fact a damage, too) and when your unit is still under warranty. In case that you've got important data on your hard disk, you should ask if you can/shall dismount it before you return it. The support colleagues will also be able to deal with your further warranty related questions.

I hope this helps.

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation