Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Hp Envy has been great, I've used it every day when I go to class. The battery life at first started at about 4 hours and I figured it was decent. However, one day while it was closed, I brought it to a few classes before I used it. After it was unplugged and closed for two and a half hours, I opened it and was told I only had 11% battery life left.

I figured I must not have plugged it in last night.

I charged it and was told at a full battery, I only had 2 hours and 30 minutes of battery life.

What's going on here? I've read that average is around 6 hours! Why is my Envy dying so quickly out of the blue?

Thanks, Corey

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @cjvb1932,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Envy 17 Notebook and having battery issues. I wanted to share something that I tried that fixed mine. Remove the battery and open device manager from the device and locate Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery. Right click and select uninstall. Reboot the device and wait a few moments, then install the battery back onto the device. Windows will automatically load the drivers. Then check it. Mine holds a charge great. :generic:

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

How do I remove the battery? The bottom of my notebook is sealed with no signs of a way to remove the battery.

HP Recommended

Hey @cjvb1932,

Could you include the Model of HP Envy as it shows me that the 17's have a removable battery?

In the meantime you could still try the above method just as soon as it has been deleted restart the Notebook.

It's worth a try.

Have you checked your Performance plan settings. Windows 10 puts it to High power rather than Balanced.

Here is a document on how to test and calibrate the battery.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Also having the same issue, my laptop holds about a half hour
HP Recommended

When I purchased beginning of the year a new HP Envy 17, I have been very disapointed that the battery is no longer removable. Since battery life depends very much on the loading cycles or periods of time where a notebook is connected to the powersupply while the battery is fully charged (at my older model I removed the battery always when the battery was 70-90% charged and I had a power supply available).

At my new notebook I found out by coincidence, that if I stick the pin for the power supply not fully into the pin hole, it indicates  "xx% available (plugged in, not charging)". It is a kind of shaky thing, to get the pin into the right position, but it may help to extend the battery life, since it is not charging in this position. On the other side it would be wishful if the HP engineers would come up in future with a solution where the power supply can be connected optionally either for battery charging or for direct power supply only (without battery charging).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.