Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had my notebook since September 2014. On 15 or so occasions since then, I've touched the notebook and have received a static shock either from the edge of the casing, the mousepad, or the keys. When this happens, my notebook turns off completely and immediately; there's no graceful power down, there's no message saying why it's turning off, the screen just turns black and the PC just shuts down completely. Any unsaved work is lost when this happens. It's not a pleasant experience, to say the least, not only because of the shock itself, but also because I'm never sure when my notepad is just going to turn off whenever I touch it.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Not normal -or common. I would phone HP Support for warranty service.

If you live in the US, contact HP info Here.

If you live in another part of the world, start here>>Contact HP

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks, CherylG - I called the number and spoke to a support agent about the issue. I'm now waiting for a call back from the HP Safety Department.

HP Recommended
Having the same issue with my girlfriends laptop she got it in August 2014. When got the laptop it was warmer here in NY so there is not much static. Now that it is colder there is a lot more static electricity, we shock each other constantly. We noticed her laptop shutting off randomly when you would touch it. We though we were going crazy until one time my hand literally got zapped when I reached for the mouse pad and the computer shut down instantly just like it had been doing. What's the resolve for this?
HP Recommended

Hi @mykswiss2 ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

George,

Could you please add my name to this list as soon as possible. We have the exact same problem going on. Got the computer in September, and once the weather got drier this winter, had continuous problems with small static just shutting the system off immediately. This is real disappointing as we finally jumped from Dell to HP and really don't want this to be our first/last HP.

To other users: We have found that unplugging the power adapter seems to completely take care of the static issue - haven't had it shut off once from static when it was unplugged. However, this is NOT a realistic solution.

Thanks,

NHAnimator

HP Recommended

I just purchased a new Envy 15 and received it March 16th 2015. I am having the exact same thing happen to mine. If it is plugged into the AC adapter and I get up from my chair and walk across the room as soon as I return and touch the laptop a small static discharge occurs and it powers down instantly. This does not happen when the laptop is operating on battery only and not connected to the AC power adapter.

HP Recommended

@countryboy577 

@NHAnimator

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

My HP Envy15 just started doing this same static shutdown thing today and has shut down about 8 times since this morning. One of those shutdown events caused it to freeze and not power down. I could even not hard reset it so I had to remove the batteries to force it to shut off. I bought it in December 2014. Has there been any resolution to this problem?

HP Recommended

I bought an HP ENVY 15t in March and am having this same problem.  I have reproduced the problem in my office and in three different houses so I doubt it is a wiring problem.  I also have another 6-year old HP Pavilion dv5t-1000 laptop in my office sitting right next to this new laptop, and the old one has never had this problem.

I contacted HP technical support and ended up shipping my laptop to them for repair.  One of the technicians who was working on my laptop called me.  He said they could not reproduce the problem because their repair facility is set up to electrostatically discharge so that this problem would not occur because it could damage the components.  I questioned why they even wanted me to send my laptop in if they knew they would not be able to reproduce the problem.  He admitted that he believed my problem was real and he understood how frustrating it was, but they checked all the hardware and could not find anything wrong.  His best suggestion to fix the issue was to buy a humidifier.

I told him that solution was not acceptable and I would like my laptop replaced or a refund.  He sent me to HP ENVY warranty service to escalate the complaint.  However, they had not received any information from the repair facility and claimed that they could not do anything for me until they did.  I said that was fine and asked them to call me back when they did.  I EXPLICITLY told them that I did not want my laptop back.  I said "DO NOT SHIP MY LAPTOP BACK TO ME.  I WANT A REFUND OR REPLACEMENT."  Well, my laptop was shipped back 6 hours later and was sitting at my front door two days later.

I hope the rest of you have better luck resolving this issue.  I will be contacting HP again today or tomorrow to request a replacement or refund and will update you with the outcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.