HP G60 Touchpad not working. (28663 Views)
Top Student
knight04
Message 1 of 17 (28,663 Views)

HP G60 Touchpad not working.

The other day my HP G60 lap top went into sleep mode.  When I touched the touchpad the laptop made a loud beep noise.  The computer then froze up.  So, the lap top was shutdown and then restarted.  After the computer came back up the keyboard and touchpad did not work.  So, we called HP support for help.  They took us through some steps and got the keyboard working again.  They could not get the touchpad to work again.  So, they told us that we were going to have to do a system recovery.  We did the recovery last night and the touchpad still does not work.  (A wireless mouse does work). 

Using Windows Vista

Thanks for any help...

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 17 (28,652 Views)

Re: HP G60 Touchpad not working.

Check to see if the touchpad button is on or off. If you toggle this button and the issue is not resolved the notebook will need to come into hp for repairs

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Top Student
knight04
Message 3 of 17 (28,648 Views)

Yes, the button is on. Still not working.
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 17 (28,646 Views)

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset to erase all of the information in the temporary memory and regain functionality of your PC when it stops responding. For example, doing a hard reset is helpful if your keyboard quits responding, you cannot get your PC to come out of hibernation or sleep mode, or if a software program causes the PC to freeze.
The hard reset will not delete saved files on the hard drive.
Performing a hard reset
To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.
1-Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC and remove from any port replicator or docking station.
2-Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
3-Press and hold down the power button for about 20 seconds.
NOTE: Holding down the power button while the computer is turned off drains any residual charge in the capacitors.
4-Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC.
5-Press the power button to turn the notebook PC back on.

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Top Student
knight04
Message 5 of 17 (28,622 Views)

Thanks... I spoke with another person at HP and they told me to do a hard reset. It worked! He told me that the hard reset is to discharge static. 

I didn't see your post until now.

Thanks!

Student
aschneider00
Message 6 of 17 (28,436 Views)

HP told me to do the same thing only my problem was that the computer would not boot at all... I would press the power button and nothing would happen.. I would have to take the battery out and it would boot.

I was told a permanent fix is to do the hard reset and then update the BIOS (v52).  We will see if it is permanent....I did it on 12/21 and it is 12/23 today and so far I am batting 1000 on start ups.

Honor Student
cyfg6
Message 7 of 17 (26,961 Views)

"so far I am batting 1000 on start ups"

what does this mean please

Student
wakesk8
Message 8 of 17 (26,757 Views)

batting 1000 -- is a baseball reference to a hitter's batting average.  If a hitter is batting average is 1000 (or more properly written as 1.000) then they get a hit every time they have an 'at bat'.  It is the best a hitter can do. 

Student
Ookosoft
Message 9 of 17 (15,323 Views)

Had the same problem just did the following:

Remove the power adapter

Remove the battery

Hold down the power button for 20 secs

Switch on and enjoy

Student
nabeelsul
Message 10 of 17 (12,595 Views)

whoever this is, love you man. God bless you, joined up just to say thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation