Question

Honor Student
denmcmike
Message 1 of 20 (38,527 Views)

HP G60 laptop

My laptop will not turn on. I have tired start it pluged in to AC power and underbattery power. The light next to the AC input lights up showing it has a connection. How and where can I get this repaired. This computer in only three months old and should be under warranty.---- thanks,  Mike

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 2 of 20 (38,519 Views)

Re: HP G60 laptop

Which G60 is it exactly?

Student
mauigrays
Message 3 of 20 (38,422 Views)

Hi   Had the same exact problem.  Took my G60 back to Best Buy.  It was the motherboard.  Waited two weeks for the repair.  Just picked it up two days ago.  Less than 24 hours later same problem with new motherboard!  Returned to Best Buy.  Geek Squad admitted that this is a common problem with this computer.  Had to send it back to HP for new motherboard and also requested exchange due to unreliability.  

Honor Student
lhcap
Message 4 of 20 (38,003 Views)

denmcmike wrote:

My laptop will not turn on. I have tired start it pluged in to AC power and underbattery power. The light next to the AC input lights up showing it has a connection. How and where can I get this repaired. This computer in only three months old and should be under warranty.---- thanks,  Mike

Good luck....it's probably the mother board...it over heated....my G60 is 17 months old.....quit Friday in the middle of work....will not turn on ...but good news....HP can fix it for $432.....I can buy a new one for a little bit more.....will not be buying another HP product...had a HP monitor go out that was 18 mths old....

Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 5 of 20 (37,992 Views)

try doing a hard reset

unplug the charger

remove the battery

hold the power button for five minutes

then try to power on your laptop.

say thanks by clicking the star.

Student
ernreal2
Message 6 of 20 (33,150 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.  Not sure why this would have overheated motherboard seeing I have used a cooling pad ever since I bought the machine.  Looks like I need to back up my data everyday incase I am not able to get the machine to come on.  Yikes!

Honor Student
childofhis
Message 7 of 20 (32,061 Views)

Thanks for the tip. I added kudos. I did, however, only need to hold down my power button for 60 seconds. I put the battery back in and plugged in the ac adaptor and my laptop came back on.

I've read that you don't want to do this multiple times so are there any suggestions on how to avoid this in the future. Or, is this an indication that the laptop is on it's way out?

Thanks

Student
TheBeanies
Message 8 of 20 (29,840 Views)

I have just suffered this exact problem, the base of the laptop gets very hot.

I have just done the hard start, great advice and worth the kudos!

But what is the best method of prevention?

Honor Student
vamoongirl
Message 9 of 20 (27,450 Views)

I just has the same issue...had pc ready to go to HP..decided to try it one more time without battery...everything lit up & it started right away...ps...you can haggle them down to $250...anyone figure out how to keep from happening?
Honor Student
mastr95
Message 10 of 20 (25,029 Views)

I've never had this specific problem myself, but I do own a G60 series notebook and have had heating problems. (I recently clocked it at 108 degrees Celcius). The best method I've found for cooling it is just to give it room for airflow. I keep mine on a flat table top with 4 wooden blocks elevating it about 1 1/2" off the surface. Since I did this it's been running about 50-60 degrees cooler, just with 4 peices of wood.

Hope this helps,

mastr95

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation