Question

Top Student
NatHPG62
Message 1 of 9 (870 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP G62 Charger making a high pitched noise

When my laptop charger gets very hot it starts to make a high pitched sound... Then once it's cooled down, it's fine, until it gets hot again...

Should I replace the charger? I'm worried it could be a fire hazard...

I can't smell no burning when I sniff the charger, or any smell that could relate to something melting inside...

What could it be or is it fine? It's worrying...

Thank you!

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 9 (862 Views)

Re: HP G62 Charger making a high pitched noise

[ Edited ]

Hello NatHPG62,

Is your laptop still in warranty? Anytime an issue comes up that can become a fire hazard it is a major issue. I am forwarding your thread to the appropriate team for review. Someone should be in contact with you shortly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
NatHPG62
Message 3 of 9 (858 Views)

Hey!

Thank you for your reply! It's not under warranty because I can't find anywhere to insure it...

Is it safe to use the charger?

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 4 of 9 (857 Views)

Hello NatHPG62,

I'm going to say no. At this point you are concerned that it could be a potential issue so you should avoid using it until that is cleared up. If you have access to another charger I would use that in the meantime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 9 (849 Views)

Please post your full product Number and I will look for a suitable ac adapter replacement for you

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Please Do Not post your s/n

HP Product number label.gif

Top Student
NatHPG62
Message 6 of 9 (847 Views)

Do you think the chargers broken?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 9 (842 Views)

NatHPG62 wrote:

Do you think the chargers broken?

Yes and I think it is a Fire hazard, stop using it, unplug it from the wall socket.

Top Student
NatHPG62
Message 8 of 9 (813 Views)

Thank you very much for your help! HP contacted me thank you to you! They said it's a fire hazard and the charger is malfunctioning, HP also sent me out a new charger as a sign of good will! Thank you again!
Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 9 of 9 (809 Views)

Hello NatHPG62,

Glad to hear you got everything taken care of. The charger most certainly sounded like a fire hazard so it's good that you are not still using it.

Feel free to come back to the forums if you have any other issues or concerns.

- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation