Question

Honor Student
kpfleger
Message 1 of 7 (8,140 Views)

HP G62 Laptop

I have a new (purchased 5/4/2010) HP G62 laptop.  When I am using it and it is sitting on my lap - it starts shocking me.  I have determined it is the screws in the bottom plate of the laptop that the shocks are coming through.  What is the cause of this and how do I fix it?  It is uncomfortable enough to where it is actually causing little red spots on my legs where the screws touch my skin.

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 2 of 7 (8,139 Views)

Re: HP G62 Laptop

you never want to use a notebook computer in your lap, it blocks the cooling vents. Are you sitting on a sofa or a carpeted floor? could be static discharge.

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Honor Student
kpfleger
Message 3 of 7 (8,082 Views)

[ Edited ]

Are you kidding?  You are not supposed to have a LAPTOP on your LAP??? 

The fact that it is shocking the person using it is not important I guess!  Could someone else help in a real way please.

It only shocks when it is plugged into an outlet.  When it is on battery there are no shocks.

Kimber

Top Student
xfrankp
Message 4 of 7 (8,062 Views)

[ Edited ]

You and your laptop might be better served if you used one of these lap desks.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/16/6/AAAAAnnziX4AAAAAABZlQg.jpg

Every laptop maker will advise you to keep the vents clear so the computer can be cooled properly.

A hard, flat surface is what the general recommendation is.

These are available at most office supply stores and on-line stores.

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 5 of 7 (8,038 Views)

kpfleger wrote:

Are you kidding?  You are not supposed to have a LAPTOP on your LAP??? 

The fact that it is shocking the person using it is not important I guess!  Could someone else help in a real way please.

It only shocks when it is plugged into an outlet.  When it is on battery there are no shocks.

Kimber

Hello, Will be contacting you via private mail here on the forum. Underneath the search button, there is an indicator for how many new messages you have. That is the private mail feature here on the forum. Please check with me there. I'll be watching it all weekend.

GarenT

Student
BobbyGNo1
Message 6 of 7 (5,734 Views)

Hi,

this post is directed at GarenT really, and hoped you had given some sage advice in private as you suggested you would.

I have the same problem as the original post. Same Laptop HP G62.. if i pick up the laptop to put it down after a period of work i get a shock off the left hand side and have assumed it is the usb port that is deliverying the shock.. Not a big shock just enough to put you off doing it again.. I've already taken one back after a day which did exactly the same thing.. and now i'm thinking it's either a common fault or i'm doing something i shouldn't be doing.. if using the laptop is doing something wrong i'd be surprised..

Can you help?

Any Advice would be much appreciated.

Student
dwentzell
Message 7 of 7 (2,054 Views)

i too get shocks from this laptop and it does it on both sides when i hold it, is this a common problen?  I am thinking about  returning it but it appears you tried that and it is still a problem for you, holding on my lap or table doesnt make a difference, still get shocks holding the sides, I will have to  return it for something else if this continues unless there is someone i can report this too or I find a solution and now have other reports of the same problem to support my concerns.

Any Advice?

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation